Home Forum Ask A Member OMC points/tune up kits obselete??

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Was looking for OEM OMC points on marineengine, it says "not available". Same notation for the 171522 tune up kit….
      This can’t really be possible, hopefully….
      Anyone have more info?

chris-p
      Participant

Hopefully Marine Engine is just out. I have not heard about BRP not making the kits anymore? Maybe so though.

Eventually it will happen. If our members don’t support and buy OEM parts, they will eventually stop making them. Its likely going to happen one day down the road. We are all to blame for this, myself included.

dan-in-tn
        Participant

US Member

I dug into this a few weeks ago & was told they were just out of stock by Seaway in WA. I think it’s time to go to my contact at BRP to see if something else is happening?
          These points have been made in Turkey (I believe) forever. Their quality has always been far superior to anything else in the industry. Most of the time the cost (as a tuneup kit) is about the same if not cheaper as the junk on the market! I sure hope BRP hasn’t made another brilliant executive decision. I will check & get back to you.

Dan in TN

rmhxruss
          Participant

Try 172522. or777679.

aquasonic
            Participant

US Member

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRP-Johnson-Ev … SwqaJaVkM9

Crowley Marine has the 777679 kit for just points and condensers.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/parts/755915.cfm?q= 777679

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, well maybe BRP changed the number on the tune up kits, but marineengine does not reference the number, will look on the BRP site…

dan-in-tn
                Participant

US Member

That is the OMC System Matched parts (same parts) that BRP sells to distributors. It’s what I can buy. Crowley just happens to still have some in stock. That is good, but at a premium price. ME was selling those kits for around $23? Of course they cost less than that. The kit is by far the best way to buy the points, condensers, & oiler wick. I should have an answer for us some time tomorrow. I have sent an email message to BRP to clear up wheather this is a temporary B/O or a BAD decision. #580148/#777677 are on not listed either.

Fleetwin if you just click on the BRP number on ME site you will see the OEM number listed along with Sierra & every other vendor. That OEM number is OMC System Matched part.

Dan in TN

bobw
                  Participant

US Member

You can get almost any BRP OEM part thru Dusky Marine in Florida for 25% off MSRP. They currently show the points/condenser kit under part #172522 or 777679 for $22.49 after discount, or points set only under part #580148 or 777677 for $8.99 after discount.

http://www.duskyonline.com

On the home page, scroll down under Boats, Motors & Parts and select Evinrude parts, then enter you desired part number. I’ve ordered lots of new parts from them with no difficulty and usually very quick shipping.

Hope this helps.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                    1954 Johnson CD-11
                    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                    1958 Johnson QD-19
                    1958 Johnson FD-12
                    1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                    "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

bobw
                    Participant

US Member

Sorry, I guess since we are talking vintage OMC motors, I should have said OEM OMC parts! I ordered the 172522 kit from Dusky about a month ago and got it with no problem, so guessing that ME is currently just out of stock.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                      1954 Johnson CD-11
                      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                      1958 Johnson QD-19
                      1958 Johnson FD-12
                      1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                      "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

rmhxruss
                      Participant

The system matched parts are OEM. Just a different P/N. Most likely they BRuP should just use the OMC OEM P/N to keep things simple. But BRuP is not that smart.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.