OMC vs HF flywheel puller

Home Forum Ask A Member OMC vs HF flywheel puller

This topic contains 87 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  johnyrude200 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 88 total)

• wetwillie

Replies: 91
    Topics: 15

I just finished reading a couple of threads re: how great the OMC puller is for removing a flywheel that is as stubborn as the one is on my ’66 Ski Twin. Before I spend extra time and $ on an OMC puller, I’d like to know if anyone had better luck removing their flywheel using the OMC tool vs the one that Harbor Freight sells. I have been soaking the flywheel/crank interface with penetrating oil for several days while the puller bolt is under considerable pressure (administered by an impact gun) in addition to whacking the puller bolt a few times and heating the interface with a Bernzomatic until its hot to the touch.
    Will the OMC puller really do any better?

chris-p
    Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 2428
    Topics: 154

Well, I have it, and it definitely makes things easier. I especially like the built in handle, and the durability of it.

chris-p
    Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 2428
    Topics: 154

What you sometimes need on the big crank motors like the one you have, is leverage on the wrench you have on the center puller bolt. I had to put a long 4′ piece of fence pipe on my wrench I had on the center bolt once to get one to crack.

frankr
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 3850
    Topics: 43

I used mine daily for over 20 years and occasionally for 30 more. I’ve never resorted to penetrating oil or heat. Or waited overnight or days. A guy working in the shop by the hour can’t be taking that long to get a dumb flywheel off.

Disclaimer: Well then there was the one where some idiot put locktite on the tapers. I think I had to cut that one off.

wetwillie

Replies: 91
    Topics: 15

I wedged a piece of wood between the flywheel teeth and the lifting eye so it wouldn’t turn using a 3′ pipe on a breaker bar. I left it under considerable pressure for about 48 hrs now.
    Man, I HOPE the last guy that installed it didn’t use Loc-Tite.

wedgie
    Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 962
    Topics: 94

I just bought one from Crowley Marine, but haven’t had a chance to test it out yet. I have a ’69 Ski twin flywheel that gave me fits getting it off with the harmonic balancer puller. Broke a few # 8 bolts before it finally popped. I bet the OMC pull set would’ve made short work of it.

I’ll try it out soon as I finish my house maintenance…probably sometime in the late fall 😡

fisherman6
    fisherman6
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1653
    Topics: 37

I don’t have the OMC puller or the HF puller. If I were to buy a puller for OMC flywheels I would buy the OMC puller. It is a very well made and perfect functioning tool. I made mine out of 1/2" steel pate. I use the center bolt from abother purchased puller (since I had it and it saved me making one) and for the tough ones I use an impact wrench on the center bolt. Most of the time that’s not needed but that pops the stubborn ones right off. Thankfully I have not found one loctited on yet. 😮
    My vote is for the OMC puller. I bet you won’t regret it.
    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

david-bartlett

Replies: 1228
    Topics: 105

Willie,

Even as a Hobbyist, your time is worth something!! And if by chance you break something using a marginal tool, there goes your savings.
    I have the OMC puller, and it is a PLEASURE to use.

If you buy one, you will not regret it.

sydinnj
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 108
    Topics: 5

I just used the omc puller on a 58 lark last week. They work great.on stubborn ones I put the load on the center bolt then pry the flywheel up with a heavy duty screw driver to lift the ply in the crank. Then give the center bolt a wack with a small sledge. then re tighten the center bolt. normally 2 or 3 times of this and it will pop free.

wedgie
    Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 962
    Topics: 94

Got it for $64.00 including shipping.

Pardon my ignorance …In what circumstance is the brass piece used ? Also, the two long brass colored bolts 😳 ?

Attachments:

sydinnj
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 108
    Topics: 5

I believe it is used as a spacer under the center bolt, esp if there is not a dimple in the end of the crank. Thats what I have used it for anyway. No guess on the two bolts. I figure when I need to pull something other than a flywheel I might figure them out.

fisherman6
    fisherman6
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1653
    Topics: 37

I’m sure someone here knows for sure what thelse brass piece and the two long bolts are for. I do not, but if I had to guess I’d say for pulling a bearing carrier out of a gearcase. Just guessing.

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

vintin
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 547
    Topics: 16
    quote Fisherman6:

I’m sure someone here knows for sure what thelse brass piece and the two long bolts are for. I do not, but if I had to guess I’d say for pulling a bearing carrier out of a gearcase. Just guessing.

I’ve never done it but I’ve read that is what they are for.

frankr
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 3850
    Topics: 43

wedgie, I guess the contents of the kit have maybe changed over the years, but at one time they used to come with more bolts than you got. Mine had a bunch of bolts that I probably never used. And I’ve added some of my own. I may be wrong, but I think the adapter thing is used in the splined end of a crankshaft to pull a bearing housing off. And various long bolts were used on prop-exhaust gearcases. As I said, I have some long All-Thread bolts that I’ve added for things that I don’t even remember. You will invent new uses for it as you go along. I recently added some bolts to pull the flywheel off a riding mower.

jerry-ahrens
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1011
    Topics: 70

You can also get an optional lifting eye that screws into the puller plate. Now you have a place for a cherry picker/hoist for lifting motors. I use my puller on everything from small vintage motors to modern V6’s. I’ve never encountered a flywheel it wouldn’t break loose. I have a 57 Big Twin, that I am certain has never had the flywheel off. Original coils, condensers, etc. The OMC puller’s 1/4 inch bolts pulled the threads right out of that flywheel. I was in a hurry, so I installed 3/8 Heli Coils, then the puller popped it right off. Not to worry though, I was converting that engine to electric start, and wasn’t planing to reuse that flywheel anyway. Point being, that puller is a brute, and will get the job done!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.