Home Forum Ask A Member Opinions needed

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Selling to another club member will probably ensure the engine will be preserved for years to come. Doing the service work yourself then selling it to a normal consumer will surely produce more profit for you, but it is doubtful the engine will be properly cared for/preserved.

wedgie
      Participant

quote wannabe outboard guy:

Wheres Wedgie???? I know this one will make his heart skip a beat…

I’m here on the west coast of Canada 😉

I would be tempted if it where close to me but…

The exchange rate these days would make a $200.00 motor into 260 Canuck bucks . Add to that the cost of the coils impeller gasket ,carb kit etc and it’s now $400 or more. I really can’t justify having that much tied up considering how many motors I have that I am not using.

I’ve had to set a limit of under $100.00 for projects. Once in a while I find a good candidate at a bargain rate. I don’t expect to make money, rather I hope to just break even on them when the wife or kids sell them some time in the(hopefully) distant future.

This motor, tank and stand with the operators manual was $50

Before:

No way, after parts and paint, that I’ll get my money back on this one. 😥

After:

Having said all that, that motor and tank would be a bargain at $200 for someone who wants a really nice survivor to round out their collection of ‘ 57 ‘Rudes.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

If I were buying it, I’d prefer to get it before anybody monkeyed with it. Especially one so nice as the one in wannabe’s pictures. BUT..I also bought one on the cheap that somebody has monkeyed with. Has new coils, and other things show signs of some level of service. AND it has me skunked. There is nothing wrong with it that I can find, but it won’t hit a lick. So see what you get when somebody has "fixed" it? Now I gotta find out what he screwed up.

wiscoboater
          Participant

I was not trying to sell it to you wedgie, just wanted you to see it. I know your affection for the old Rudes’. That is truly a beautiful restoration you did on that one. My hat is off to you my friend.

wedgie
            Participant

W.O.G.
              I didn’t think you were looking to sell it to me,just offering my take on things. Since the exchange rate has gone for a sh*t recently it makes everything 30 percent more. I have had to curtail my shopping stateside by a third as a result. I know Mumbles has too. Sorry about the whining. 🙄

Oh well, at least our exports are more affordable to you guys down south .I imagine Peter at NYmarine has seen quite a boost recently.

C’mon up y’all and spend some greenbacks this summer. My employer reaps the benefit of a low Canadian dollar with the increase in tourism.

As to your original question,I think I would leave it as is unless you were to sell it to a non club member.

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                quote Wedgie:

quote wannabe outboard guy:

Wheres Wedgie???? I know this one will make his heart skip a beat…

I’m here on the west coast of Canada 😉

I would be tempted if it where close to me but…

The exchange rate these days would make a $200.00 motor into 260 Canuck bucks . Add to that the cost of the coils impeller gasket ,carb kit etc and it’s now $400 or more. I really can’t justify having that much tied up considering how many motors I have that I am not using.

I’ve had to set a limit of under $100.00 for projects. Once in a while I find a good candidate at a bargain rate. I don’t expect to make money, rather I hope to just break even on them when the wife or kids sell them some time in the(hopefully) distant future.

This motor, tank and stand with the operators manual was $50

Before:

No way, after parts and paint, that I’ll get my money back on this one. 😥

After:

Having said all that, that motor and tank would be a bargain at $200 for someone who wants a really nice survivor to round out their collection of ‘ 57 ‘Rudes.

beautiful

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                  quote FrankR:

If I were buying it, I’d prefer to get it before anybody monkeyed with it. Especially one so nice as the one in wannabe’s pictures. BUT..I also bought one on the cheap that somebody has monkeyed with. Has new coils, and other things show signs of some level of service. AND it has me skunked. There is nothing wrong with it that I can find, but it won’t hit a lick. So see what you get when somebody has "fixed" it? Now I gotta find out what he screwed up.

I agree with Frank

jeff-register
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I would keep it

pappy
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I LOVE to find an engine that I am interested in that still has the original coils in it! What this means to me is that Bubba and Billy Bob have not had the chance to run it on 50:1 mix because Gomer, down the street, said it was okay to do it.

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                        quote Pappy:

I LOVE to find an engine that I am interested in that still has the original coils in it! What this means to me is that Bubba and Billy Bob have not had the chance to run it on 50:1 mix because Gomer, down the street, said it was okay to do it.

good point!

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 26 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.