Other old motors – should I?

Home Forum Ask A Member Other old motors – should I?

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
    shoestringmariner

Replies: 258
    Topics: 53

So I have an opportunity to add 3 more non-running motors to my non-running pair.

There’s a 3.3 Evinrude and 10 HP Johnson QD-10, both look complete near me and also a late 50’s Johnson 10 hp (supposedly runs) a little bit further away…prices from $80 to $150. Also some period correct pressure tanks….Am I nuts?? They look so darn cool!!

If the larger motors are needle bearings, can run them on a lighter fuel mix with todays oils?

RICHARD A. WHITE
    RICHARD A. WHITE

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1759
    Topics: 136

It sounds to me as if you are on the fence. If your situation is like most of us, and you have the money, buy the motors and start planning a much larger storage area. This addiction is well know for taking a normal person and making them a hoarder, a collector of sorts. The only medication is buying more….I personally have no flipping desire to be "cured" 😈

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
    classicomctools@gmail.com

mr-asa

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 774
    Topics: 139

For me, it would depend almost entirely upon cosmetic condition. If they look good, and are complete I might go for them (although I’d try to talk them down since they don’t run)

shoestringmariner

Thanks guys. Yes, appears to be all complete. I’m concerned because I don’t know how scarce parts are for these particular motors as I’m finding that parts for my TN-28 are obsolete, and if I’m not mistaken, Johnson made over a million of these motors. I *think* I’d stop at these as it would give me a few motors to use the HP range that I figure my boat can take (12′ cedar strip…thinking 10hp max?)

bbstacker1

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 30
    Topics: 4

I’m with Richard on this one (can’t get enough). I usually tell myself, "when in doubt don’t" but with old motors it seems to be "when in doubt do". I at least try to keep it narrowed down to a certain range of motors (make, model and year).

outboard315

Replies: 209
    Topics: 18

I would have to pass on these just based on price. Unless they are in super nice condition cosmetic wise and have spark. I think you could find a better deal at a swap meet. As far as the TN TD models go for 20 to 40 bucks around here any ways you could have about a dozen of them. Of course if there is enough room on the back of your boat you could run 2 TN motors.

kerry

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 383
    Topics: 17

The 3.3 Evinrude is pretty well made, the two I have just needed a points cleaning to run. The 1950’s Johnsons are the "universal mag" twins with many available parts from many sources. BRP, marineengine.com, iboats, etc. etc. Value is up to you. Searching Craigs tells you what motors sell for in your area, prices vary by location. If the 10’s ran, with tanks, they would sell for around 250 to 300 near me.

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

shoestringmariner

Thanks again guys
    Kerry, you’re not far from me. I’m in Southern Ont, and anything vintage here seems to command a bit more. (asking values anyway)

Here’s the 3.3. It is such a freaking cool looking motor. Says it only has spark on one cyl. I assume it means a bad coil or dirty points.

shoestringmariner

darn, image failed to work

wedgie

Replies: 983
    Topics: 94

You have to upload it to an image hosting website first. postimage.org is a good one

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3410
    Topics: 51

Check the late 50s 10hp carefully before buying. They are nice motors but sometime prone to wrist pin/rod wear. And, if it is 1958 or newer, it has the smaller gearcase which gets ruined quickly if water leaks inside. Drain the lube out of the gearcase, or crack the bottom screw at least before buying.

shoestringmariner

Thanks Wedgie. lets try this

shoestringmariner

Thanks Fleetwood, I’ll do that if I consider that one

kevinf

Replies: 122
    Topics: 14

Those 1948-51 Sportwins are an interesting motor. The Evinrude went to a lot of trouble with the carb design, and it has twin rubber impellers. They had tools stashed all over 🙂 the tiller handle has a screwdriver in it and under the lower shroud there’s a wrench and a selection of shear pins and cotter keys. New parts are pretty scarce but there are lots of donors around and if you aren’t in a hurry you can usually find the parts you need. One weakness is the upper bearing in the lower unit is a ball bearing and they rust.

Kev

mr-asa

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 774
    Topics: 139

quote ShoestringMariner:

Thanks again guys
    Kerry, you’re not far from me. I’m in Southern Ont, and anything vintage here seems to command a bit more. (asking values anyway)

Here’s the 3.3. It is such a freaking cool looking motor. Says it only has spark on one cyl. I assume it means a bad coil or dirty points.

Try that

If you are using Google Chrome as a browser you can usually right-click on an image and select "Copy Image URL" then use that for the image. That’s what I did there.
    I think Mozilla FireFox does it as well, but I don’t know if Internet Explorer does

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.