Home Forum Ask A Member Other old motors – should I?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    shoestringmariner
    Participant

So I have an opportunity to add 3 more non-running motors to my non-running pair.

There’s a 3.3 Evinrude and 10 HP Johnson QD-10, both look complete near me and also a late 50’s Johnson 10 hp (supposedly runs) a little bit further away…prices from $80 to $150. Also some period correct pressure tanks….Am I nuts?? They look so darn cool!!

If the larger motors are needle bearings, can run them on a lighter fuel mix with todays oils?

RICHARD A. WHITE
      Participant

Lifetime Member

It sounds to me as if you are on the fence. If your situation is like most of us, and you have the money, buy the motors and start planning a much larger storage area. This addiction is well know for taking a normal person and making them a hoarder, a collector of sorts. The only medication is buying more….I personally have no flipping desire to be "cured" 😈

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
        classicomctools@gmail.com

mr-asa
        Participant

For me, it would depend almost entirely upon cosmetic condition. If they look good, and are complete I might go for them (although I’d try to talk them down since they don’t run)

shoestringmariner
          Participant

Thanks guys. Yes, appears to be all complete. I’m concerned because I don’t know how scarce parts are for these particular motors as I’m finding that parts for my TN-28 are obsolete, and if I’m not mistaken, Johnson made over a million of these motors. I *think* I’d stop at these as it would give me a few motors to use the HP range that I figure my boat can take (12′ cedar strip…thinking 10hp max?)

bbstacker1
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I’m with Richard on this one (can’t get enough). I usually tell myself, "when in doubt don’t" but with old motors it seems to be "when in doubt do". I at least try to keep it narrowed down to a certain range of motors (make, model and year).

outboard315
              Participant

I would have to pass on these just based on price. Unless they are in super nice condition cosmetic wise and have spark. I think you could find a better deal at a swap meet. As far as the TN TD models go for 20 to 40 bucks around here any ways you could have about a dozen of them. Of course if there is enough room on the back of your boat you could run 2 TN motors.

kerry
                Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

The 3.3 Evinrude is pretty well made, the two I have just needed a points cleaning to run. The 1950’s Johnsons are the "universal mag" twins with many available parts from many sources. BRP, marineengine.com, iboats, etc. etc. Value is up to you. Searching Craigs tells you what motors sell for in your area, prices vary by location. If the 10’s ran, with tanks, they would sell for around 250 to 300 near me.

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

shoestringmariner
                  Participant

Thanks again guys
                    Kerry, you’re not far from me. I’m in Southern Ont, and anything vintage here seems to command a bit more. (asking values anyway)

Here’s the 3.3. It is such a freaking cool looking motor. Says it only has spark on one cyl. I assume it means a bad coil or dirty points.

shoestringmariner
                    Participant

darn, image failed to work

wedgie
                      Participant

You have to upload it to an image hosting website first. postimage.org is a good one

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.