Home Forum Ask A Member Other old motors – should I?

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Check the late 50s 10hp carefully before buying. They are nice motors but sometime prone to wrist pin/rod wear. And, if it is 1958 or newer, it has the smaller gearcase which gets ruined quickly if water leaks inside. Drain the lube out of the gearcase, or crack the bottom screw at least before buying.

shoestringmariner
      Participant

Thanks Wedgie. lets try this

shoestringmariner
        Participant

Thanks Fleetwood, I’ll do that if I consider that one

kevinf
          Participant

Those 1948-51 Sportwins are an interesting motor. The Evinrude went to a lot of trouble with the carb design, and it has twin rubber impellers. They had tools stashed all over 🙂 the tiller handle has a screwdriver in it and under the lower shroud there’s a wrench and a selection of shear pins and cotter keys. New parts are pretty scarce but there are lots of donors around and if you aren’t in a hurry you can usually find the parts you need. One weakness is the upper bearing in the lower unit is a ball bearing and they rust.

Kev

mr-asa
            Participant

quote ShoestringMariner:

Thanks again guys
              Kerry, you’re not far from me. I’m in Southern Ont, and anything vintage here seems to command a bit more. (asking values anyway)

Here’s the 3.3. It is such a freaking cool looking motor. Says it only has spark on one cyl. I assume it means a bad coil or dirty points.

Try that

If you are using Google Chrome as a browser you can usually right-click on an image and select "Copy Image URL" then use that for the image. That’s what I did there.
              I think Mozilla FireFox does it as well, but I don’t know if Internet Explorer does

shoestringmariner
              Participant

thanks again

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.