Owen Dyneto starter generator

Home Forum Ask A Member Owen Dyneto starter generator

This topic contains 28 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by tinkerman tinkerman 3 days, 15 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • tinkerman
    tinkerman
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 78
    Topics: 11

Does anyone have any literature on the Owen Dyneto starter generator used on a 1930 Elto sr speedster? I’ve acquired a complete engine and it appears to be in great shape. The starter engages but no spark. I’ve got the parts coming to build a coil out of the military coil. (Anyone know a part # for a condenser for this?) under the small cone on top is a set of points/ timer? Not sure but they look all intact, however under the larger cone their is another set of points/timer that the VERY TINY wires have lost their insulation . Im gonna try to replace this wire with new but looks like maybe one end solders to the points themselves I’m sure this part is hard to come by and don’t wanna mess anything up for sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Happy is a place we visit from time to time, content is a place where we can spend our life

tinkerman
    tinkerman
    US Member - 1 Year

Also need the actual wiring diagram for battery and switch. PO bypassed the switch for some reason and I’d like to hook it back up. Not sure why they did this because it’s just a simple slide type 3 position switch (I think) nothing to really break or go bad. I just touched the battery cables to a lawn mower battery and it turned over. (After spraying penetrating oil in the cylinders)

Happy is a place we visit from time to time, content is a place where we can spend our life

outboardnut
    outboardnut
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 459
    Topics: 344

does this help?

Attachments:
    outboardnut
    outboardnut
    US Member - 1 Year

Attachments:
    outboardnut
    outboardnut
    US Member - 1 Year

Attachments:
    outboardnut
    outboardnut
    US Member - 1 Year

Attachments:
    outboardnut
    outboardnut
    US Member - 1 Year

Attachments:
    tinkerman
    tinkerman
    US Member - 1 Year

It’s definitely a starting point. The naked wires I was referring to are on the brush ring assembly. as I said I ordered a military coil to rebuild the coil what is difference in 6 volt-12 volt? The parts list shows one for 6 volt and one for 12 volt application Once I get home I’m hoping I can look at the wiring diagram and make heads or tails of it. It IS a 3 position switch so…… OFF- ON and START so another question, could I start the engine then move switch to ON and eliminate the starter motor turning all the time at low rpm’s (seems it would last a LOT longer if this wasnt happening)

outboardnut
    outboardnut
    US Member - 1 Year

Owen

Attachments:
    outboardnut
    outboardnut
    US Member - 1 Year

US1915982

Attachments:
    outboardnut
    outboardnut
    US Member - 1 Year

Link from South Cal chapter website
    http://www.socalaomci.com/NationalPDF/Antique%20Outboarder%20January%201968.pdf

tinkerman
    tinkerman
    US Member - 1 Year

Yes now we are getting there for sure. Thanks so much

49morphew
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 51
    Topics: 9

Tinkerman

I’ve a 1930 Elto 311. Its cosmetically original but has been completely rebuilt. Lee Wanie here in Wisconsin rebuilt it. It starts and runs beautifully. You are right about switching the ignition from start to on after starting. Also, the motor I have is a 12v positive ground setup. I dont know if they all were this way or not. If you would like I will take various photos of my motor if it helps you get yours running again. Let me know specifically what you need to see and I’ll do my best to assist.

tinkerman
    tinkerman
    US Member - 1 Year

An actual this wire goes to that from the starter out would be most helpful. I’ve seen a cpl pics online and they only have 1 wire coming out of the starter plus the cable mine has two plus the cable.and none of them are from different angles so I can see what’s what. As I say someone had bypassed the switch all together. Just touch hot and ground from battery and away she goes. I WASNT going to do much cosmetically ….. but it looks too easy lol it’s not in bad shape as is but new silver with the black exhaust ends and a decal and it’ll look almost new again. I seen a couple threads on here of people who had acquired one in various conditions and they tore pistons out and inspected EVERYTHING. Is this necessary or just a precaution? Thanks for the help

49morphew
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 51
    Topics: 9

Perhaps your switch was relocated in the boat elsewhere for starting by the driver maybe? As far as how far down to tear a motor I believe is a matter of personal opinion. If it acts fine and makes no funny noises leave it be. Others will say its a 90 year old motor and nothing should be left to chance. I took some quick pics this morning. If you need pics with the covers off let me know.

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.