Home Forum Ask A Member Owen Dyneto starter generator

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    outboardnut
    Participant

US Member
      outboardnut
      Participant

US Member
        tinkerman
        Participant

US Member

Yes now we are getting there for sure. Thanks so much

It's a jungle out there.

49morphew
          Participant

US Member

Tinkerman

I’ve a 1930 Elto 311. Its cosmetically original but has been completely rebuilt. Lee Wanie here in Wisconsin rebuilt it. It starts and runs beautifully. You are right about switching the ignition from start to on after starting. Also, the motor I have is a 12v positive ground setup. I dont know if they all were this way or not. If you would like I will take various photos of my motor if it helps you get yours running again. Let me know specifically what you need to see and I’ll do my best to assist.

tinkerman
            Participant

US Member

An actual this wire goes to that from the starter out would be most helpful. I’ve seen a cpl pics online and they only have 1 wire coming out of the starter plus the cable mine has two plus the cable.and none of them are from different angles so I can see what’s what. As I say someone had bypassed the switch all together. Just touch hot and ground from battery and away she goes. I WASNT going to do much cosmetically ….. but it looks too easy lol it’s not in bad shape as is but new silver with the black exhaust ends and a decal and it’ll look almost new again. I seen a couple threads on here of people who had acquired one in various conditions and they tore pistons out and inspected EVERYTHING. Is this necessary or just a precaution? Thanks for the help

It's a jungle out there.

49morphew
              Participant

US Member

Perhaps your switch was relocated in the boat elsewhere for starting by the driver maybe? As far as how far down to tear a motor I believe is a matter of personal opinion. If it acts fine and makes no funny noises leave it be. Others will say its a 90 year old motor and nothing should be left to chance. I took some quick pics this morning. If you need pics with the covers off let me know.

20190813_051642

20190813_051652

20190813_051626

20190813_051626

49morphew
                Participant

US Member

Couple more…

20190813_051615

20190813_051608

tinkerman
                  Participant

US Member

The switch is their just not hooked up but yes I understand what your saying PO May have used an ignition switch. Yours also only has one wire coming out of top of starter where as mine has two, but appears one is only a ground. I’ll post a couple pics I took as I was taking the coil off. Also , facing the coil, I don’t think mine has the lug on the left side with the aluminum bushing that yours has but maybe I’m just forgetting as I’m at work now

It's a jungle out there.

tinkerman
                    Participant

US Member

Your coil appears to have 1 lug on each side of the coil where as mine has both on the same side, am I correct or is their another one on the right that I’m not seeing. Again thanks

It's a jungle out there.

tinkerman
                      Participant

US Member

Ok I think I’m clear but if I’m wrong someone let me know. + battery cable from battery to switch —— another battery cable size wire from switch to armature—- one wire from coil to switch one wire from coil to points (with condenser hooked to this wire also) the second wire from top of starter is ground and – cable from battery to ground beside starter switch. I’m hoping that’s it got most of my painting done and should have rest of my parts for building coil Tommorrow and I also ordered an aluminum disc 1/8” thick due to the float bowl cover being all cracked and rough looking (gonna build a new one) maybe clean the tank a little and see what happens

It's a jungle out there.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 30 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.