Home Forum Ask A Member P/N help request

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    johnyrude200
    Participant

I can’t seem to locate the P/N for a 1980, 4.5hp OMC with an onboard fuel tank. The P/N I’m looking for is the fuel "T" that allows for switching between the on board tank and an external tank.

I have searched OMC system match, marine engine, and also my physical parts booklets from that year, and can’t seem to find that fuel "T" switch anywhere.

I mean, I could just run down to home depot and hopefully find a suitable substitute, but a customer wants this replaced so figured I’d at least see if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks again

RICK EICHRODT
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I looked up the part on marinengine.com and back in 1980 OMC did not have a T valve to switch between the on board tank and the remote tank. What they used was in the base of the float bowl cover was a valve, part #324659 which when turned by the lever on the front of the motor would switch between the gravity fed on board tank and the fuel pump driven remote tank. Now the part #324659 is no longer available so it is my humble opinion, if you have a "T" valve under the hood, then that is an owner added part and not part of the original motor.

Normal disclaimer applies, close cover before striking, seek doctor help of wetness on brow, upper lip or tear duct drainage occurs. Not responsible for any loss of life, limbs or any dementia and is above symptoms appear, seal professional help.

ede
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks to Rick’s research, I do have a NOS 324659 valve. Interested, send me a PM. Ed

johnyrude200
          Participant

The odd thing is that the motor lower cowel/pan, has a sticker on it indicating the switch is to change from internal to external fed fuel, and there is a shut off at the choke for fuel supply, but I’m not sure how that would switch the fuel from either place since there is only 1 fuel line feed into the carb.

This motor doesn’t look like a franken-motor either, it looks to be a complete original. The T-valve switch (original) is fit into the lower pan, not some DIY job, so it does look correct for the motor.

Interestingly, the reason why that valve needs to be switched is because it is very corroded/stuck, and someone else did a hack job of simply bypassing the external fuel line in, removed both fuel feeds from either source (internal or external), and just ran a fuel line directly from the internal tank to the carb. The customer wants the ability to use either/or (who can blame him).

The part # reference is very helpful – did you just look at a newer vintage motor to find that?

RICK EICHRODT
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Nope, used the 1980 parts book listed on MarineEingine.com.

Rick

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, I think I might have figured this out. The part number is: 173727. The reason why we/I weren’t finding this on marineengine.com is that this is an add on kit. This engine came in two versions, either the integral tank or the remote tank models. This kit was a dealer installed item that allowed the engine to be used either with the remote tank or the integral tank.
                I found this on the BRP site:
                http://epc.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=E&s1 … 8222a0cab4
                Unfortunately, I don’t know if this link will work, you are usually required to type in your email first. In any event, I found it by looking in the accessory parts list for 1980.
                Marineengine.com does have the valves for a premium price:
                http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/pa … 27&x=0&y=0

johnyrude200
                Participant

FLEETWIN STRIKES AGAIN! This is what I was looking for! Thanks! Makes sense that it was a kit.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.