P.O. tightened jet too much?

Home Forum Ask A Member P.O. tightened jet too much?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• mr-asa

Replies: 794
    Topics: 138

Low speed jet on my Fastwin. Looks to me as if someone over tightened the jet, or screwed it all the way in, then tightened the packing nut.

Any tips on repair? I was thinking of using fine sandpaper and trying to smooth out the ridge. Is there a better method?

theodore

Replies: 74
    Topics: 9

Although it’s damaged, it might still be adjustable to give an acceptable idle. If not, either-

A) Replace with another

B) Pay a machinist 40 or 60 bucks to repair it

C) Look for a Brass Pencil Sharpener.

dan-in-tn

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 961
    Topics: 78

You can find needles on EBay or address as you mention, but it is the seat you will have to worry about!

Dan in TN

marvk

Replies: 56
    Topics: 12

I had one that was somewhat damaged. It was slightly bent. I chucked it in a hand drill, secured it to my workbench, and VERY CAREFULLY, used a dressing stone to work it back in straight. Seemed to work fine for me. It was on my Lightwin. It idles down to a crawl. 😉

dave-bernard

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 2014
    Topics: 30

I also use a drill and hold 320 grit wet dry sand paper in can use oil with it and finish it with 600 gritmy fingers and spin the needle and squeeze the paper to remove the defects.

wiscoboater

Replies: 739
    Topics: 126

If you check marinengins.com A lot of those needles are still available new for not a lot of money. I bought one that was damaged for my 59 fastwin a few weeks ago. Like t2stroke said, is the seat mucked up as well?

wiscoboater

Replies: 739
    Topics: 126

What year and HP is your motor? I have some spares if you need one.

mr-asa

Replies: 794
    Topics: 138

From what I can tell, the seat is good. Didn’t see any damage

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

That’s an easy fix Mr. Asa. Spin it in a lathe or drill press and use a fine whetstone or a piece of wet n dry paper on a flat surface to remove the groove. I finish them with 1500 and a bit of polish so they shine like a mirror! Lately I’ve been using several different grits of diamond stone to dress them.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.