Home Forum Ask A Member Paint stripping

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    joecb
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

What’s been your experience with commercial paint stripping. Anyone used any of the commercial processes that use chemical of "soft" media blasting to strip the factory paint on aluminum outboard parts? … and NOT damage the aluminum base metal.

Joe B

wiscoboater
      Participant

Soda blasting, while expensive is the cats pajamas on aluminum. Glass beads or plastic work well also. I have heard walnut shells are a good alternative as well.

chris-p
        Participant

I use soda and glass, depending on what im blasting.

Im now experimenting with Lime though. With some mediums, if not properly cleaned afterwards, you may have issues with the paint falling off. Lime seems to limit this issue.

melugin
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Just had an aluminum boat hull soda blasted below the waterline. Evidently the material hung in the spray rails and has corroded some as it dribbled out. Could only use a hose to rinse, as it is too cold to get the pressure washer out. Was a lot quicker than stripper, and had some corrosion issues to begin with.

RICHARD A. WHITE
            Participant

Lifetime Member

I use walnut shells exclusively….never an issues, removes paint and does zero damage to the base metal. Does not do the greatest with steel but then again, it should not do that well with steel.

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
              classicomctools@gmail.com

adam1961
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Chris,
                Do you have a soda cabinet at home? If so, what brand and do you like it?

joecb
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the info on the media pros and cons. Has anyone ever tried some kind of commercial chemical stripping, maybe like they use for furniture? Thinking about chemical strippers, some kind of solvent based chemical might be OK, however a strong caustic chemical would attack the aluminum. Any experience along these lines?

Joe B

chris-p
                  Participant

My cabinet has glass in it. I have a portable soda blaster I use outside for cowls and such. They are not expensive models, but seem to work fine. I have never used a real high end one, so don’t have anything really to compare it to.

Joe,

I have tried chemical as well. Much more work I find, and ends up costing more. Plus, the fumes off that stuff are not good for you.

wiscoboater
                    Participant

I never had much luck with the chemical strippers either. I’ve tried the orange/citrus strippers, Zip strip, automotive aircraft stripper. Of them all the automotive aircraft worked the best but the fumes are BAD. Blasting was much better then any of them. The paints and primers used in the old days are tough stuff. I’ve often wondered what kind of toxic pudding I’m really creating when mixing it with the harsh strippers 😯

opposedtwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Oh yeah, me too on the "toxic pudding" Jeff. I bet it ain’t good. I have done most
                        of my stripping on old house paint on wood. With the lead and the chemicals to remove it, it’s got to rival a dr kevorkian cocktail! 😐

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.