July 16, 2017 at 6:39 pm #7658
Have not seen this one happen before.
I soda blast cowl down to bare fibreglass.
Started spraying the orange, and noticed I can see the outline of the old GALE decal still! Look close at first picture. Strange, did not see it on bare fibreglass, or even on the primed surface.
Degreased it, and also used paint prep on it before priming. Odd it came through.
Also terrible gouges on this fibreglass you can see after the orange was sprayed.
Have to strip this back down and start over, not happy at all with it.
Topics: 94July 16, 2017 at 7:28 pm #61710
The Gale decal and the adhesive protected the fiberglass from the soda, leaving "the shadow." of it. The soda may have pushed traces of the adhesive into the fiberglass, and then it swells up when the paint soaks in to it.
The pitting is where the soda removed the resin in between the fiberglass strands. I would go over it with a bright light , and sand down the remnants of the logo . Then with a skim coat of body filler over the entire hood, sand smooth using really good side lighting . Then, spraying with a high build primer so you can get the fine scratches out before top coat.July 16, 2017 at 7:53 pm #61711
I think If I were to restore another Fibreglass Cowl motor, I would strip the paint on the cowl with stripper chemicals, rather than blasting it. A lot of body work to do now!
Canada Member - 2 Years
Topics: 432July 16, 2017 at 8:58 pm #61712
I’ve found the factory paint on the fiberglass hoods is quite durable and doesn’t always need stripping off. Taking it down to the bare fiberglass is just making more work for yourself. Block sanding and filling any scratches should be enough prep for your favorite paint. A sealer coat should be used first if the new paint will attack the old paint.July 16, 2017 at 9:16 pm #61714
I am seeing that now mumbles thanks.
I am just used to taking everything down to bare metal…..I hate seeing the "edge" of where a chip of paint was!
I may rethink my next 60s project.July 21, 2017 at 8:30 pm #61987
I ended up using a Polyester Resin. Helped out a lot. Not perfect, but the owner is happy. I only had a few days to complete the job, so was rushed! Needed full rebuild and cosmetics. Rigged on the boat for the family outing this weekend.July 21, 2017 at 8:31 pm #61988
Ready for the Water!
Steve A W
US Member - 2 Years
Topics: 42July 21, 2017 at 8:59 pm #61991
Don’t tell my wife but I think I fell in love again ❗
That is beautiful.
Steve A W
Member of the MOB chapter.
I live in Northwest Indiana
US Member - 1 Year
Topics: 963July 21, 2017 at 10:49 pm #62003
That should be one proud customer tooling around the lake!
Prepare to be boarded!
US Member - 2 Years
Topics: 22July 22, 2017 at 5:20 pm #62038
I have recently used some citrus based stripper on a fiberglass cowl with good results. It didn’t attack the resin and wasn’t difficult to handle.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.