Painting

Home Forum Ask A Member Painting

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• goldmember

Replies: 36
    Topics: 15

After stripping the cowls and other pieces on my Mercury KE4, I was wondering what kind of primer do you use on the cowls and cast aluminum. I know painting aluminum is tough so I want to get it right.

76-j

Replies: 79
    Topics: 6

I use ( on-the-cheap) metal etching primer from a rattle-can. Frequently, my motors remain that way,,, Wheteher that’s “right” or not , is up to those who desire perfection ?

lindy46

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 496
    Topics: 41

I use ( on-the-cheap) metal etching primer from a rattle-can. Frequently, my motors remain that way,,, Wheteher that’s “right” or not , is up to those who desire perfection ?

Agree – self-etching primer available at most auto parts stores.

benji41

Replies: 90
    Topics: 58

The main thing is that the metal is very clean (no finger prints of dirt) and use the same type of primer as the paint you are going to use. Such as enamel paint enamel primer. I have always had good results using 409 to clean and make sure every thing is dry and not touched.

Jim Benjamin

dave-bernard

Replies: 2014
    Topics: 30

To tell the truth if the motor is unpainted I clean well and just dust with dull aluminum. if it is to be painted any other color I agree prim it first. like I said just a light dust of dull aluminum don’t build it up. just me I have had good luck that way.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.