Parts for WW2 Evinrude 50 HP big 4

Home Forum Ask A Member Parts for WW2 Evinrude 50 HP big 4

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)

• JEROME STEVENS

Replies: 4
    Topics: 1

Hi all,
    I am a new member, so let me introduce myself : I am French (don’t hold it against me) and collect too many old things (my wife’s opinion) including WW2 vehicles. I also have a few early Boston Whalers that I love.
    I recently found what I believe is a WW2 Evinrude 50HP. The engine is not seized and I would like to run it again (ideally with WW2 storm boat if I find one …).
    Could you please help find a propeller (missing) and gasket sets to do some maintenance before strating it ?
    Thanks in advance
    Best
    Jay

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Can we assume it is a model 8008?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by frankr.

JEROME STEVENS

Hi Frankr

I did not check the engine data plate yet, but it was owned by a gentleman in Normandy who told me it came from the US military. I will take a picture of the data plate.
    Last summer I saw a nice racing boat with an engine “advertized” as racing 50HP. It was not, the data plate mentionned 8008 instead of 8000 to 8006.

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3583
    Topics: 31

Welcome to the club Jerome – Yes a model 8008 – which became the Evinrude Big Four with a change in the stern brackets. We featured them in one of our Florida meets and I was told seven showed up. Dad worked it The Evinrude Experimental Engineering department when the first Big fours were built. Many changes were made to boost horse power for racing and the Racing 460 that resulted was the King of speed for many years. When WW2 broke out the armed surfaces wanted a portable fast assault boat to move troops to the beaches. The 460 was detuned for easy starting and dependability. The compression was lowered and the carburetor opening in the crankcase was necked down for smoother idling. A storm boat motor was supposed to put a squad of soldiers on the beach at 35 Miles Per Hour. It was attached to the boat with two rods that allowed the motor to be levered completely into the boat To raise the transom the keep water out, make the motor less of o target and make repares when necessary. As a 16 year old I ran Dad’s modified Big four on 14 foot Speedliner. It ran 50 MPH, It is one of my Favorite motors.
    Early Big Four

Racing 460

Model 8008

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member

what happened to my post

The Boat House

Replies: 4550
    Topics: 111

I am noticing replies to threads
    disappearing as well.

JEROME STEVENS

Hi Garry

Thanks for the great response and helpful history, I got it on my mail box. Not the first time I hear about that engine issues when wet (not a good weakness for an outboard …)
    I loved the part about you going at 50MPH with your dad’s boat : you must have been thrilled.
    I just got a book on WW2 US and British assault boats; there is a page on the 50HP.
    Any idea where I could find a propeller and maintenance gaskets ?
    Thanks
    Jerome

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

My 8008 head and some 4-60 gaskets came from these guys a few years ago:

https://www.vintageoutboard.com/collections/johnson-evinrude-gaskets/products/171102-head-gaskets-pair

https://www.vintageoutboard.com/collections/johnson-evinrude-gaskets

The powerhead is still in pieces so I expect to cut any other gaskets I will be needing.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by Mumbles.

JEROME STEVENS

Thanks Mumbles
    I just sent them an email
    I will let you know how it goes
    Best

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member

The new software seems the have almost unlimited room for improvement. The awesome volunteers who push us toward perfection have my sincere graditude.

Welcome to our enthusiastic group of old outboard collectors’ Jerome –

A little background information – My Dad, although majoring in business, was was mechanically inclined and very competitive. He started intercollegiate canoe racing and when Ole Evinrude came out with his revolutionary Elto,, Dad cut the back off his canoe and began racing outboards. He set several records with the Missouri Valley Racing Association (a mid-western competitor to the APBA) and was asked by Ole Evinrude to join Elto’s Experimental Engineering department in 1928. Dad always said “If you want to be successful, find something you really like to do and then find someone to pay you to do it.” He joined Elto and found himself working with an outboard family that included Jim Webb Jake Stern and Bruce Davis. Elto shortly joined OMC and he found himself also working with Engineers from Lockweed,, F.T. “Irgie” Irgens and Denny Watkins. So Dad sa in engineering when they stacked a pare of 30 cubic inch Speeditwins and davaleped the Big Four & Racing 460. Dad’s need for speed put him to work on the 460 and Speed bee. As racing quickly found weak spots, the 460 became the world champion of speed,
    Storm-Boat-Motor-History-copy
    32 Big Four

Early 460

Later Big Four

Later 460

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.