Patina vs. restoration

Home Forum Ask A Member Patina vs. restoration

This topic contains 14 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by fisherman6 fisherman6 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
    otherbeach

Replies: 1
    Topics: 1

I am involved in the vintage VW hobby where patina is increasingly favored over restoration. Having inherited a 1937 Model 4209 Sportwin, I was wondering if this hobby prefers restoration and exterior cleanup vs. leaving the exterior “as-is”. I also wonder if leaving the exterior dirty with restoration (presumably reproduction) labels and instructions would be preferred by this hobby. I am going to attempt a mechanical fix, so this is more a question about exterior than interior parts.

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by Avatar otherbeach.
    • This topic was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by Avatar otherbeach.
    Mumbles
    Mumbles
    Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4200
    Topics: 425

‘Beauty is in the eye of the beholder’. Opinions will vary greatly but the final answer is if it is what YOU want and no one else.

I’ve fully restored quite a few motors from the fifties but when I do, it includes a full mechanical rebuild so they can be used as daily runners and not spend their days as non running over polished sawhorse queens. Those types of motors belong in museums.

otherbeach

Replies: 1
    Topics: 1

Thanks…I like it how it is now, although I may lightly cleanup the exterior grime. Polishing seems to be out of the question in my mind. I appreciate you answering a Guest. For those answering after this, it will be close to “as-found” when complete. I hope to use on the water!

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by Avatar otherbeach.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by Mumbles Mumbles.
    Attachments:
    fleetwin
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2753
    Topics: 33

Well, this is a tough question….I tend to prefer the original finishes if they are in relatively good shape. But, my view is jaded because I have zero refinishing skills and even less patience.

squierka39
    squierka39
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 337
    Topics: 24

I agree with mumbles in that you will get many different views on this. There are many who like to see as much original finish as possible just for preservation sake and future viewing. If they all get restored we won’t know which color is the correct red.
    Personally I like to clean what I have and only refinish if it’s really bad. To me dirt is dirt, not patina, clean it off. You can get more dirt while running them.
    No matter how you do it someone will love it and someone will hate it.

bobw
    bobw
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 640
    Topics: 28

There are those who insist the “as found” condition is sacred and should be left that way, and those who like to restore them to factory new condition. I prefer and enjoy the complete restoration process, and like Mumbles, I always do both a full mechanical rebuild and cosmetic restoration. At the end of the day, it just depends on what you personally want to do.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
    1956 Johnson RD-18
    1958 Johnson QD-19
    1959 Johnson QD-20

outboardnut
    outboardnut
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 478
    Topics: 356

For me It depends on the motor
    I love the look of a 1958 RDS-20 with new paint
    But then again I like the look of faded paint on a 1955 RD-17
    Its your motor Do what you think is best

Samuel Phelps
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 69
    Topics: 14

I’m new to these old outboards so my opinion doesn’t hold much weight . I started with boat restoration and that always involved painting and shining things up . Unfortunately,I guess , I’m much better at making things pretty than I am at making them run good so I lean towards the restoration .. But doing them as period correct as you can is important…
    Do what you like and that is really the only thing that matters …

vintin
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 562
    Topics: 17

Patina!

dave-bernard
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 915
    Topics: 10

Patina IF it is a real clean motor. cleanup for a user, restore for a not clean hard to find,

Randy in Tampa
    Randy in Tampa
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 194
    Topics: 19

With me a depends on the degree of deterioration in the rareness of the motor, if it’s in decent shape or extremely rare I like to leave it original and just clean it but if it is worn or crusty I like to restore them at that point I might polish them to a bling it’s only original ones but if it looks like crap restore it 🧐

Rotary valve Johnson’s Rule!

lindy46
    lindy46

Replies: 294
    Topics: 22

I enjoy taking an old motor and making it look and run like new.

David Bartlett
    David Bartlett
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 167
    Topics: 8

I have gone both ways. My thoughts are that a nice original should be left alone, whether you intend to run it or not. The only motors I have cosmetically restored are a few that looked like they had been dragged behind the truck, rather than carried in it. I had nothing to lose. They look great now, but they are no longer original. But hey, they’re mine!

I would rather have a nice original motor any day, even if it has some Patina!

Yellowstone
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 31
    Topics: 6

I like the look of both. I saw a Jay Leno’s garage once where a guest on the show talked about patina and there was a name for the trend I can’t recall, becoming all the rage in classic cars. Essentially guys or gals liked the looks of the patina. And they weren’t afraid to drive them down a gravel road, etc.

All of my motors so far I’ve kept the original patina. I was wondering, do you guys who like the original patina use anything to protect it? I see one company sells “Patina Preserver” which unlike a clear coat, doesn’t affect the look of the paint. I guess it has to be reapplied every 12 months to protect from the elements.

fisherman6
    fisherman6
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1774
    Topics: 39

I appreciate both a nice cosmetic restoration and original patina. I do typically lean toward leaving the original finish, but giving it a good cleaning and a polish if the finish will take it. If they are really bad, then I am not against restoring the finish. If they are bad and a common motor I have even gotten a little creative with the new finish for example, the motor in my Avatar. it is a 1959 Evinrude Sportwin Golden Jubilee that was really rough when I bought it. It needed extensive mechanical work as well as some help in the looks department. It got mechanically rebuilt using a mish-mash of compatible Johnson and Evinrude parts from 1957-1959 to get it back on the water. I still have a fuel leak I haven’t successfully tracked down yet, but it is a runner again. I decided that it needed a paint job that reflected what it was made of. Once I get the fuel leak fixed and get it on the lake I will make a video of it running on the boat and give a bit more detail to the story of the motor. That one is something out of the ordinary for me. I usually leave them be and really like a nice original survivor. I do have a few that I plan to try my hand at cosmetic restoration on as well.

As others have said, it depends a lot on the motor and the condition. If they are nice I leave them alone. If they are rare, I leave them alone. I don’t have any real rare, highly valuable motors, but unless it was really rough, I’d let it be other than a little cleaning up on the outside. The mechanics of getting them back to good running condition then running them is my main interest.

-Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.