Home Forum Ask A Member Patina vs. restoration

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    otherbeach
    Participant

I am involved in the vintage VW hobby where patina is increasingly favored over restoration. Having inherited a 1937 Model 4209 Sportwin, I was wondering if this hobby prefers restoration and exterior cleanup vs. leaving the exterior “as-is”. I also wonder if leaving the exterior dirty with restoration (presumably reproduction) labels and instructions would be preferred by this hobby. I am going to attempt a mechanical fix, so this is more a question about exterior than interior parts.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by otherbeach.
      • This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by otherbeach.
      Mumbles
      Participant

‘Beauty is in the eye of the beholder’. Opinions will vary greatly but the final answer is if it is what YOU want and no one else.

I’ve fully restored quite a few motors from the fifties but when I do, it includes a full mechanical rebuild so they can be used as daily runners and not spend their days as non running over polished sawhorse queens. Those types of motors belong in museums.

otherbeach
        Participant

Thanks…I like it how it is now, although I may lightly cleanup the exterior grime. Polishing seems to be out of the question in my mind. I appreciate you answering a Guest. For those answering after this, it will be close to “as-found” when complete. I hope to use on the water!

motor

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by otherbeach.
          • This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Mumbles.
          fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, this is a tough question….I tend to prefer the original finishes if they are in relatively good shape. But, my view is jaded because I have zero refinishing skills and even less patience.

squierka39
            Participant

US Member

I agree with mumbles in that you will get many different views on this. There are many who like to see as much original finish as possible just for preservation sake and future viewing. If they all get restored we won’t know which color is the correct red.
              Personally I like to clean what I have and only refinish if it’s really bad. To me dirt is dirt, not patina, clean it off. You can get more dirt while running them.
              No matter how you do it someone will love it and someone will hate it.

bobw
              Participant

US Member

There are those who insist the “as found” condition is sacred and should be left that way, and those who like to restore them to factory new condition. I prefer and enjoy the complete restoration process, and like Mumbles, I always do both a full mechanical rebuild and cosmetic restoration. At the end of the day, it just depends on what you personally want to do.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                1954 Johnson CD-11
                1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                1958 Johnson QD-19
                1958 Johnson FD-12
                1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

outboardnut
                Participant

US Member

For me It depends on the motor
                  I love the look of a 1958 RDS-20 with new paint
                  But then again I like the look of faded paint on a 1955 RD-17
                  Its your motor Do what you think is best

Samuel Phelps
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m new to these old outboards so my opinion doesn’t hold much weight . I started with boat restoration and that always involved painting and shining things up . Unfortunately,I guess , I’m much better at making things pretty than I am at making them run good so I lean towards the restoration .. But doing them as period correct as you can is important…
                    Do what you like and that is really the only thing that matters …

vintin
                    Participant

Patina!

dave-bernard
                      Participant

US Member

Patina IF it is a real clean motor. cleanup for a user, restore for a not clean hard to find,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.