Pee hole(s) on ’57 Johnson 7.5?

Home Forum Ask A Member Pee hole(s) on ’57 Johnson 7.5?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• cron78

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 56
    Topics: 23

OK, I’m still new to this game, so forgive me if I was supposed to keep my last thread going. I have another question about the same motor, but a different issue.

Got the needle packings in and the carb back on. Hooked up the gas, pumped the tank and watched the gas flow into the glass filter cup. As a newbie, that was exciting enough. Three pulls and vroom! I’ll wait ’til Yellow Jacket to have someone that knows this stuff help me learn how to adjust the needles since I don’t know what I’m looking for, but it runs.

Question is…is there another pee hole in the outside of the gear shift lever? Water is coming out of there in addition to the rear hole. Looks like it was intended to do that, but I don’t know.

Thanks,

Dale

dan-in-tn

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 961
    Topics: 78

Well no, it wasn’t intended to do that although a lot of them do. There is an oring on the shift shaft that gets very flat and water leaks by. Needless to say after being shifted all these years wear has occurred in that bore. A new oring may stop it or some have taken more drastic measures. The leakage does not hurt anything. The motor does not have another telltale water indicator.

Dan in TN

chris-p

Replies: 2456
    Topics: 153

No there is an o ring there that is leaking. Common issue. Wont cause any damage though. Next time you have the powerhead off to do the water pump, change the o ring.

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

If the shifter is flopping around because the bore for it is worn, it can be drilled out and rebushed with brass tubing. Doing this tightens up the shifter and also gives the O ring a new surface to seal against.

cron78

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 56
    Topics: 23

Thanks, all. Will pick up an o-ring (or three) and deal with it when I change the impeller in a few weeks.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.