Home Forum Ask A Member Phelon coils Mercury

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    jasonh
    Participant

Disclaimer for Jeff: I was writing this while you were responding. None of this, EVEN though may seem that way, is directed at you (blah blah) 😆 😯

Yes, go through the basics and post back what you did and your findings. Will be glad to try and help the best we can over the internet. I also wanted to point out I did not mean to imply you don’t know what you are doing. I am just saying for all out there, this is not a job for someone "mechanically challenged". Not sure if any of this meets all engineering requirements, just talking from my personal experiences. Proceed with caution and discretion. 😕

Just some things in response to other posts:

I have used both OMC condensers and those designed for Phelons (sometimes that is all that will fit) with no issues with either. The key is they cant leak or be shorted. Yeah, Yeah, yeah,,, bla bla blah, mfds..blah…capacitance …blah blah blah. All I can say is what has worked for me. I have a decent size collection so not all my motors are run regular. However there are some with this conversion that I run regular enough to feel confident I haven’t seen any issues develop.

Filing on the laminates: You should take care to file evenly off each side and all the way up leg to T so that coil fits snug, centered, and all the way back on leg of laminate. Be sure tab to hold coil on laminate is still present and bend it back up to secure OMC coil the same as old coil.

There isn’t a lot of room to work with. You have to make sure you push the plug wire into socket of coil and bend it like 320 degrees without pulling it out of socket. Plug wire bend will be up against mounting boss of laminate so try to tuck it to inside. Don’t want plug wire rubbing on flywheel. This is also why new wires are important.

All in all, you need to look and think of every detail. The key point is grind, file, and modify enough to work BUT ONLY ENOUGH. When all said and done, make sure nothing is going to rub, this means all wires are tucked, secured, and not going to interfere with flywheel both inner hub and outside edge..etc. Do yourself a favor and use new or known good coils. I even test the new one first to be sure I am starting out good. This way you don’t jump to conclusions and stick to standard troubleshooting any issues you have.

mercuryman
      Participant

Troubleshooting weak spark:

Installed different Phelon coil and laminate got nice fat blue spark now I know Points and Condenser are good.

Installed good Phelon coil on laminate that I filed down = very weak spark

Installed OMC coil (off a good running Lightwin) on the modified laminate = very weak spark

The spark plug Wire is almost new checks 1 ohm and each time I tested I checked continuity through coil secondary to end of spark wire 4.6 K ohm.

Conclusion I ruined my Phelon laminate.

I may have file a little more on one side of laminate.

I also connected a jumper wire from mag. plate to engine block , no help.

legendre
        Participant

Compare an un-modified Phelon laminate to your modified laminate.. just how much of a difference is there, and where? How much material did you remove – can you measure it?

If you filed the ends or edges of the lams (I take it you did), did you end up creating electrical shorts between the layers (with metal dust, or ‘flagged’ over edges)?

mercuryman
          Participant

I removed .070 inch from the modified core. I also removed the rivets and separated the laminates, no help. You did read where others have done this with no proplem.

RICHARD A. WHITE
            Participant

Lifetime Member

Hmmm that is how I did mine, and no issues, we gotta be missing something…..

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
              classicomctools@gmail.com

legendre
              Participant
                quote mercuryman:

You did read where others have done this with no proplem.

If you’re referring to earlier in this thread, then yes. But I haven’t yet seen any sort of tutorial or how-to on the subject.

Just trying to get a sense of how much, and what has been changed. Not sure if you know this, but with respect to changing magnetic gaps.. for certain relatively short ranges, the field strength follows the inverse cube law (^3) – and at very tight ranges, it begins to follow even higher-order (as in ^4, ^5) etc. relationships.

Point being, when the mag gap is very small, you will see significant changes in field strength with only minor gap adjustments. As the gap tightens, those changes become all the more significant.

jim-moffatt
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK – I think that the flywheel magnet spacing may be the difference in those conversions that work and those that dont work. I suggest you all measure your flywheel magnet spacings to see if they are different.
                  This is just a stab and may not yeild anythig but I would give it a try if I had the parts.
                  The important measurement is the inside spacing between the magnets.

mercuryman
                  Participant

Legendre, for this mod you don’t change the gap between the magnet laminate core, you only remove material from the side until it fits in the OMC coil .

jasonh
                    Participant
                      quote mercuryman:

I also removed the rivets and separated the laminates, no help.

Explain this please. Not sure why you did this or I am just not understanding what you mean.

I’d agree that there is something funny with that laminate.. I have doubts about filing being issue.

mercuryman
                      Participant

I am talking the laminates that go through the coil, after I filed them they looked fused together I used a knife and separated them. I have spark tester its a board with a hole that I ran a screw in from both sides. I hook the plug wire to one side and ground the other. I can adjust the gap. I only get a spark when its barely open about .010 inch. With the good Phelon coil it would jump about .070.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 36 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.