Home Forum Ask A Member Picture of running a dry impeller

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    johnyrude200
    Participant

Earlier in the year on the green boards there was a thread about someone with a JW (3hp) who was having overheating problems. Part of that thread involved a post with a picture of what happens to impellers when you run them dry. Can someone re-post that picture on this thread? The green boards, apparently, delete posts that are more than 5-6 months old automatically.

Thanks!

Mumbles
      Participant

Here’s some failed impellers I’ve come across. I think the first one is melted a bit while the others died of old age or had the flywheel turned backwards. Somewhere I have what’s left of a Yam 9.9 impeller. The owner was warming up his kicker and main mover at the dock and when it was time to go, he tilted it and took off forgetting it was still idling away.

johnyrude200
        Participant

there was an old black and white diagram of what happens to impellers based on the amount of time they are run dry, for instance, 5, 15, 30, 60, 90 seconds. It showed the progression of degradation. Frank I remember you being in on that thread. The guy had a driveshaft that had worn a hole in the water tube in the exhaust housing, even though there was water coming out of the exhaust relief holes.

dave-bernard
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

running in a plastic housing they deteriorate much faster.

mr-asa
            Participant
              quote Dave Bernard:

running in a plastic housing they deteriorate much faster.

Interesting, Because the plastic has a lower melt point, so it breaks down quicker?

dave-bernard
              Participant

not as much heat transfer from the impeller I guess.

dan-in-tn
                Participant

It is the friction of the impeller turning inside a dry housing. Just a small amount of water (fuel, oil, something) lubricates and gives a little more time. OMC always told us 7 seconds was all it took to start damage to the housing. Now I am talking about plastic housings. Once they warp it’s the beginning of the end. The impeller can be compromised also. If you think about the damage is comulative then it doesn’t take much to do harm to your pump. No excuse to start out of the water. At least wet the pump before popping the motor off!
                  Cast aluminum housing are more forgiving, but damage to the impeller is the same.

Dan in TN

r-delawter
                  Participant

Once more, Some great information for us newer members. A fair warning as to what can happen.

Mumbles
                    Participant

Take it from this guy. He knows!

wiscoboater
                      Participant
                        quote Mumbles:

Take it from this guy. He knows!

Now that’s damm funny right there.. I don’t care who you are

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.