Pivot pin 57 Johnson 35 HP

Home Forum Ask A Member Pivot pin 57 Johnson 35 HP

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Avatar dave-bernard 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
    bck1

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/aomcio5/public_html/wp-content/themes/monstroid2/bbpress/loop-single-reply.php on line 19

Replies: 9
    Topics: 3

I am in the middle of getting this motor wor

king. I have got the motor running and now am rebuilding the gearcase. Before I opened it up I noticed that the pivot pin was not completely seated in the skeg. Now that it is apart I have tried to insert the pin and screw it all the way in. No luck it will advance about 1/16th of and inch and no further. I have checked the threads on the pivot pin an run a tap in the skeg. All seems OK there .There is no obvious trauma to either the skeg or the pin {it does not appear to be bent}. A drill bit will travel the depth of the receiving hole in the skeg I am wondering if I should grind a small amount off the pin thinking that it would then seat properly. Any thoughts? Thanks for any input Brian

frankr
    frankr
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 4390
    Topics: 43

I find it highly unlikely the pin is too long. Gotta be some other reason it won’t go all the way in. Of course you used the correct tap into the skeg, right?

bck1

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/aomcio5/public_html/wp-content/themes/monstroid2/bbpress/loop-single-reply.php on line 19

I don’t think the pin is too long as it will not go in more than about 1/16th of and inch when marked with a sharpie. The drill bit goes in the entire depth of the hole.The die I used to tap it went in very easily I am at home now away from the unit but I think it was 1/4 by 28 tpi.

phil
    phil
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 98
    Topics: 14

I’m having trouble understanding: With the gearcase apart, and nothing inside:
    1. the pivot ONLY goes in 1/16th
    or
    2. goes in almost all the way??

If #2, is the seal/o-ring in good shape?

http://www.omc-boats.org
    http://www.aerocraft-boats.org

Buccaneer
    Buccaneer
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 3083
    Topics: 861

Could the motor have come with the wrong pin?

Prepare to be boarded!

bck1

So when I insert the pin and start to screw it in it will only go in at urn and a bit. The pin engages the receiving hole but than stops and will not advance more. I am afraid to attempt to turn the screw more in case I strip the threads. So only about 1/16th of an inch is in the receiver. Could a PO used the wrong pivot screw or could there be a misalignment of the two

bck1

Sorry Buccaneer I just saw your post. Are there different sizes of pins?

frankr
    frankr
    US Member - 1 Year

There are variations of the same pin, all interchangeable as far as I know. The differences are such as gasket vs o-ring—stuff like that.

Mumbles
    Mumbles
    Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4185
    Topics: 424

Try chasing the threads on the pin itself. 1/4 X 28 I believe. Is the pin straight?

bck1

SThanks for all the replies . I did run a tap over the threads on the pivot and they are OK. I also threaded a 1/4 I nut with 28tpi and it goes on easily . I don’t think the pin is bent but will check again. I do have a part motor in the rafters that I think is either a 9.9 or 18 hp from about 1960. Would that pin be the same size?

bobw
    bobw
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 605
    Topics: 28

I had the same problem on a ’72 Evinrude. When I dismantled the gearcase I noticed the pivot screw had an o-ring and a crush washer on it. Didn’t know why until I went to put it back together and found it wouldn’t seat correctly. Took awhile to figure it out but found out the pin was bent just the smallest bit preventing a proper seat. Don’t know how that happened to begin with but I just installed a replacement pivot pin.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
    1956 Johnson RD-18
    1958 Johnson QD-19
    1959 Johnson QD-20

bck1

Thanks for that info. I might try to get a new pin

ede
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 115

Parts book shows p/n 303358 pivot pin. Overall length .981 and the pin portion has a diameter of .185 Measurements from a NOS piece

bck1

SoI tried a new pin this weekend and no luck. As I look at the pin I think there is an alignment problem between the two sides of the skeg As the pin goes from the entry side to the receiving hole it does seem to be at and angle. I did try to ground the pin to fit . But no luck. I am wondering if I use my dremel to open up the receiving side a little then I might be able to get the pin to go in. Other than that I am done and do not think the skeg is useable Brian

frankr
    frankr
    US Member - 1 Year

Well that is unusual to say the least. I wonder, when you insert it and find it to be at an angle, are you passing it through the shifter fork, or do you have the fork out? Just speculating the fork may be bent and forcing the pin askew (???)

EDIT: Pondering on it a bit more, I’ll bet the guy that worked on it before you came along ran a tap into the hole crooked (cross-threaded it).

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by frankr frankr.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.