PO15 Remote throttle

Home Forum Ask A Member PO15 Remote throttle

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• stanley

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 613
    Topics: 114

What is the appropriate controller and cable combination to use with this motor on a 15′ boat with remote steering.On the motor there is a small "y" shaped yoke where the tiller cable attached.I have no experience with remote outboard controls so I am flying blind.Thanks for any help

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3583
    Topics: 31

Back in the day the speed control was governed by a safety throttle that was spring loaded to shut down the throttle when reliest. Bowden wire was used to connect it to the carburetor. There was a spring loaded butten to lock it in position for starting. It is also recommended a kill switch be installed in case the driver unexpectedly leaves the boat. If a non-spring loaded throttle is used, the kill switch would be manditory. . . . . 😆

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3583
    Topics: 31

This steering set up is used if you take off the tiller and install in it’s place a bracket to steer the motor from the front. note the cables come off the TOP of the drum.

Back in the day the cables went straight back to a steering bar that went across the motor. This system was used in race boats. Using this system the cables come off the bottom of the drum.

stanley

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 613
    Topics: 114

Thanks for the great info,particularly the cable position coming off the drum.I got a bracket with the motor that replaces the tiller handle.Lacking a racing throttle set,I guess I’ll make do with a used single handle control and long universal cable.The kill switch is also a great suggestion.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.