Home Forum Ask A Member Points cam

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member

I just came across this service bulletin and thought I’d share it, since there is so much misunderstanding and misinformation out there. Especially concerning the cam on the right. Note that the keyway is at the extreme end of the allowable setting area. Knowing that, it might be better to set your points a tad before the keyway comes around.

how to use print screencertificity.com

RICHARD A. WHITE
      Participant

Lifetime Member

So, I can’t imagine setting it near the end of that 46 degree area and having a good running engine. But man that info is invaluable.

Thanks Frank

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
        classicomctools@gmail.com

PugetSoundBoater
        Participant

Good info and thanks for sharing Frank. Jim PSB

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
          Robbie Robertson

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, the way I read this is that the "high point of the point cam" is only 10 degrees, a very narrow band, when compared to the conventional universal mag motors. At least you know exactly where on the cam to set the points on these low tension models. Needless to say, using the timing fixture avoids any guess work. Perhaps I am missing the point of the bulletin.
            I always rotate the crank a few revolutions after setting point gap (if not using the timing tool), while watching the points open/close, to ensure the gap is correct.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.