Possible Auction Deal?

Home Forum Ask A Member Possible Auction Deal?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• bill-m

Replies: 56
    Topics: 30

Hi All, There is an upcoming estate auction on the 25th which is only about 150 yards from my house. There is listed as a 5.5 horse evenrude in the auction inventory. In the picture there is also what looks to be a pressure tank. I don’t know if these two items are being auctioned as a set or individually. Could anyone tell me the possible year and parts availability for this motor? I would like to know what opinions there are on a maximum bid I should put on this motor. I have no access to this motor so I don’t know if it turns over or not but considering the nature of the owner I could say with some confidence that it probably does turn over. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_1656

IMG_1657

• This topic was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Mumbles.

bobw

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 2448
    Topics: 56

That’s a 1956 Johnson and parts are readily available. Without knowing whether the motor turns over or not, or whatever other issues there may or may not be, It’s hard to put a value on it. Maybe $100 to $150 including the tank.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
    1954 Johnson CD-11
    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
    1958 Johnson QD-19
    1958 Johnson FD-12
    1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
    "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

olcah

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 566
    Topics: 94

I assume this would be your first 1950s outboard, if not, just disregard all the following.

To me it would be $100 with the tank tops. If it does not turn over it is likely to be rusty inside and just a parts motor – $25-$50. It looks to have spent time in the weather. Problem is that if left unused and in the weather for an extended period the crankshaft will rust. So be aware that you might not get this motor going. These mid 1950s Johnson/Evinrudes are very nice motors when they are right. There are lots of them around so you can be a bit cautious. BTW check the tank inside for severe rust and be sure that the hose includes the connector that snaps onto the motor. Know also that you will put in money (like maybe $100+) to replace the aging seals, tired electricals, rebuild carb, replace water pump impeller on any non runner that you purchase. If you are interested, have the common work on the car type tools, and a bit of patience you will really enjoy one of these great American engines. Come to this site for advice and info! Welcome.

bill-m

Replies: 56
    Topics: 30

Thanks for all the advice. I did make a mistake in my original post by saying it was an Evenrude. Hopefully I will be able to take a closer look at it before the auction begins. I do have a ’49 Mercury KF5 Super Five and a ’62 Clinton Apache. Upon the advice received I will put my limit at $100.00. Thank you again!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.