Home Forum Ask A Member Possible Speeder

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    paulfromyork
    Participant

I am now the proud owner of a very nice ’54 Gale 12 hp. And I can hardly wait to try it on the lake!
      Here’s my question. I have dreams of a speeder. No particular requirements, just small, light , and FAST. There seems to be plenty of plans available. Plenty of time for deciding what to build, and how. What I want to know for now, is how does one select the proper prop for such an adventure?
      Maybe I’m in the wrong pew. I weigh 230. Maybe my gale is insufficient. Maybe I’m in the wrong church.(?) I have been told that speeders need special props to keep the motor from over revving.

RICHARD A. WHITE
      Participant

Lifetime Member

At that weight, which is still less than me, that motor would be not as much fun as say a KG7…. to really have fun, get a Wizard 25 or Mark 30 …their power to weight ratio will help lift your/our phat butts up on plane.

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
        classicomctools@gmail.com

dave-bernard
        Participant

US Member

Here is mine the pic with the mark 75 is a mockup in the build I am running a merc 500 on a D quickie lower.
          should be in the 65mph – 70mph. With the 4 cyl.

Attachments:

thumper
          Participant

That’s gotta be stupid fast!

mercuryman
            Participant

My experience is the 12 Gale isn’t very fast I got 18 mph on 11 ft plywood boat. Same boat will go 18 mpg with my stock Mercury KE4 7.5 hp.

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

The Gale 12 horse is NOT a high performance outboard.
                . . 😕

jerry-ahrens
                Participant

US Member

I’ve always said ”if you wanna run, buy a Mercury”. But for a dependable workhorse of an outboard, an OMC is a good choice. Now all you Merc guys, don’t throw any rocks at me 🙄 Both manufacturers have some good and bad motors.

westwind
                  Participant

Canada Member

For your question about prop selection. It’s a lot of trial and error for the most part. If you want to go fast you need more pitch but whether the motor can turn it or not and get up to that speed is always the variable. You probably won’t find a ton of choices for your Gale 12.

dave-bernard
                    Participant

US Member

With the 4cyl should be in the 65-70 mph.

jeff-register
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

My Mercury 200 with manual shift pushes me real fast but any more speed will require the racing lower unit as the water drag is too much for a stock unit.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.