Home Forum Ask A Member Power tilt kit instructions needed.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    amuller
    Participant

I have all the pieces, I think, to install power tilt on a 2-3 cylinder OMC of 1970-72 vintage. Like this: http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-accessories/index.php?year=1972&model=Electrical+1972&section=Power+Tilt+Kit+65+Hp+Models&yid=34239&mid=34240&sid=35522.

It sure would be nice to locate a set of instructions for this. I am not sure exactly where to position the bracket on the transom. I can figure something out, but layout details would be comforting. Anybody have access to this paperwork?

Thanks.

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m a little confused….I thought you had a V4, these instructions are for a kit that fit the two/three cylinder engines, isn’t going to fit on your V4….

amuller
        Participant

Story: I bought a V4 parts motor that had a 3 cylinder tilt setup installed by the previous owner.. It actually does fit, sort of, with some grinding on the lift lever. The guy claimed it worked.The motors are pretty similar below the powerhead except the V4 has a pair of hydraulic shock absorbers.

But I also have a 3 cylinder 60 hp and that’s what I plan to use it on. That motor came with the lift lever installed so all I really need to do is locate the bracket on the transom. Thus the question.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Finding instructions will be tough…Newer accessories are described in service manuals, but don’t remember ever seeing instructions for the tilt kits there….I looked in ebay for a complete kit, but found nothing….Someone with a complete kit for sale might be able to make a copy of the instructions for you….

amuller
            Participant

Marineengine does not seem to have part numbers for the whole kits, as opposed to component pieces. It’s really just the vertical position of the lower bracket that needs to be doped out. But maybe you could enlighten me on item #3 “swivel bracket support plate” 121952. http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-accessories/index.php?year=1972&model=Electrical+1972&section=Power+Tilt+Kit+65+Hp+Models&yid=34239&mid=34240&sid=35522 I have yet to see one of these.

dan-in-tn
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Got a buddy that just bought a 1971 60hp the other day with a tilt assy on it. I will try to get you an answer tomorrow.
                Couldn’t answer your PM the other nite for some reason? I was on just a few minutes after you asked where I had been.

Dan in TN

johnyrude200
                Participant

Wouldn’t it be easier to just transplant a trim unit off of a newer style motor starting in the early 80’s? As long as it isn’t FAST TRACK, it should fit into the hole on the bottom of the stern/swivel bracket for the piston stud? Or if there is no hole, I guess this is an invalid recommendation.

The stern brackets are pretty easy to switch; just remove the tilt tube and trim piston stud and transplant over. Plus you don’t have to worry about all the hardware sticking out from the sides of the stern bracket, taking up space on the transom.

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Wouldn’t it be easier to just transplant a trim unit off of a newer style motor starting in the early 80’s? As long as it isn’t FAST TRACK, it should fit into the hole on the bottom of the stern/swivel bracket for the piston stud? Or if there is no hole, I guess this is an invalid recommendation.

The stern brackets are pretty easy to switch; just remove the tilt tube and trim piston stud and transplant over. Plus you don’t have to worry about all the hardware sticking out from the sides of the stern bracket, taking up space on the transom.

Wish it was that easy! You would somehow have to transplant the swivel housing, and stern brackets from a newer engines to make this conversion…I don’t think the swivel housing would fit though, but have never tried it….

amuller
                    Participant

For what it’s worth, I found the instructions on ebay. I haven’t purchased them as the $16 asked seems a little high, but the first page can be read:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Orig-1970-OMC-Installation-Instructions-for-55-60-HP-Power-Tilt-Kit-172137/332102268268?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

The main thing I got out of them was the call for a 5/8″ bolt back through the transom into the bracket. I suppose this is to keep the upward push of the tilt from trying to pop the motor out of the mounting clamps used in those days. I didn’t follow the instructions exactly as I didn’t feel like dismounting the motor, but I drilled the transom and installed two 3/8″ carriage bolts.

The instructions also say it’s OK to remove the latch hardware.

Draining the pump yielded about 125 cc of brownish fluid. I changed it twice for synthetic ATF.

I used a 20 amp fuse as that what what the previous owner used.

The motor does go up and down smoothly, but of course it’s only a tilt, not a tilt/trim. I can post pics if anybody is interested.

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Cool! Glad it worked out….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.