Home Forum Ask A Member Premature point wear?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Alan
    Participant

Do the rubbing blocks on the pictured sets look unevenly worn? Looks to me like one is a bit smaller. Calipers show one set is thinner than the other, measuring from the face of the block to the back of the mount. But the mounting might be different, don’t know if any of this matters. Hard to tell.
      I can’t seem to set them. On the set on the left, the cam adjusting screw does not travel enough to get them where they need to be. The screw itself looks fine.
      These points have about 20 hours on them, and the contact faces are in great shape. I did lube them lightly. But even with the adjustment maxed, it won;t get where it needs to be.
      I have new sets on the way, but would appreciate any advisement and opinions.
      Many thanks;
      Alan

• This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Alan.
      • This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Alan.
      amuller
      Participant

Do you know these are the correct points for the motor? Is the cam worn? Is the upper bearing worn? Is the mounting of the stator plate worn?

frankr
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

It does appear to be worn. Don’t know why just one.

The Boat House
          Participant

Alan
            Participant

All replies appreciated.
              I don’t have much in the way of history on this motor, but it appears to have few hours. When I replaced a head, there was little carbon, and plenty of factory primer paint visible in the combustion chamber. So I don’t know for sure that the upper bearing is not worn, but it’s not highly suspect. And I haven’t seen any seepage. The mounting plate for the points looks fine. These points are from a reliable source, (who’s also a member) so they are probably correct.
              The points cam is new, as is the oiler wick, (which I lightly lubricated when installed).
              I’ll report back after I get my new points. If they look a lot different, or if they turn out to be the answer to my issues. Which would be fine. This motor acts like the timing is retarded, and I know point dwell directly impacts the timing. And if the rubbing block wears, that’s gotta affect the gap and dwell.
              Many thanks;
              Alan

dave-bernard
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I also add a little grease behind the rubbing block.

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

if the points are adjusted to “just open” at tdc you don’t need to get them at .020 see video try it and see if things work out you may be ok with those “used” rubbing blocks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga1Cjymj6ms&feature=youtu.be

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

The Boat House
                  Participant

1 user thanked author for this post.
                    amuller
                    Participant

You’re not giving a lot of information here, such as the available point gap you are finding. But I agree that the timing is what matters more than the point gap. So if the timing is right (points breaking at the right place in flywheel rotation) and the point gap is “reasonable” you should be OK. But you should still find 20 thou in the middle of the range of adjustment and I’d want to know why that’s not the case.

The Boat House
                      Participant

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.