Home Forum Ask A Member Prep for a trip up the Hillsborough?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mr-asa
    Participant

I’ve been wanting to do this for a while. Friends have been interested as well, and with Dad finishing up his ’73 Alumacraft F7 we should be able to all ride in style up the river. We’re thinking that we’ll do this somewhere around the first of the cool weather down here. October or November likely.

Looking at a ride of 3 adults, up at least 10.5 miles of river until we hit the dam at Rowlett Park. From there at least the same till we get north of Fowler. Still in the planning stage but we’re either going to do it in two stages: one from the bay up to Rowlett park, the next weekend from the dam up to USF Riverfront Park or further north, or one long trip from the bay to USF Riverfront Park. If we do the latter I was thinking that we’d be able to portage the boat around the dam, but we might have to load it in the truck and take it up to a park just north of the dam

How should we prep? I am unsure of how much of the ride is a no-wake zone, but I know that north of the park it is. I’m unsure what motor I should use. I’ve got my ’55 Evinrude 25HP that I could put back together, or I could finish the ’64 Johnson 18HP. My ’58 Evinrude 15HP is already together and solid.

These are very rough ideas for distance. We’ll probably double back and explore random areas at least a little bit. How much fuel do you guys think I will need?

mr-asa
      Participant

I’m also not quite sure where in the bay I am going to put in. There’s that point, or Ballast Point Park or likely something else around Davis Island.

The Davis Island boat ramp looks nice.

david-bartlett
        Participant

Evan,

A full 6 gallon tank should be enough, but bring a couple gallons for a reserve.

Have fun!

george-emmanuel
          Participant

US Member

Give Steve Wood a call. He can give some good guidance.

George

mr-asa
            Participant
              quote George Emmanuel:

Give Steve Wood a call. He can give some good guidance.

George

Great idea, George. Been a while since I’ve spoken with him anyways.

mr-asa
              Participant
                quote david bartlett:

Evan,

A full 6 gallon tank should be enough, but bring a couple gallons for a reserve.

Have fun!

Thanks, David
                Was also wondering about the possibility of a backup motor. I’ve got a nice running 3 horse Johnson

mr-asa
                Participant

This looks like it might be helpful

https://www.templeterrace.com/DocumentC … 106?bidId=

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.