Home Forum Ask A Member Prepping for painting a motor

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    tom-in-ri
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That aluminum epoxy primer looks like it could be rugged stuff. Is it UV stable if not top coated?

wedgie
      Participant

It will go chalky if left without a top coat, but it takes a while.

mr-asa
        Participant

Should I be worried about the powerhead and heat for the paint? Should I be trying to find something high-temp that would survive in that environment, or will it not really be necessary?

Was thinking that a high-temp primer with the regular color on top?

chris-p
          Participant
            quote Mr. Asa:

Should I be worried about the powerhead and heat for the paint? Should I be trying to find something high-temp that would survive in that environment, or will it not really be necessary?

Was thinking that a high-temp primer with the regular color on top?

No need for that. If it gets that hot to burn off the paint, there is something wrong with the motor! lol

mr-asa
            Participant

I thought that was what I could expect. Glad for confirmation

I’m probably going to pull the powerhead apart completely tonight, I didn’t see anything in the exploded parts diagrams that look like they might be an issue, any tips there?

david-bartlett
              Participant

Take lots of pictures! Digital camera is your friend.

mr-asa
                Participant

Every head bolt snapped. The one exhaust cover bolt I tried snapped.

I am unhappy with this motor

r-amp-d
                  Participant

Asa

Slow down on the disassembly or you’ll have a bunch of broken bolts. If you have a salty it will be a very painstaking disassembly. Over on our website there is a you tube video on removal take a look and Remember go slow.

Travis
                    Webmaster Great Lakes Chapter
                    http://www.liquidassetsonline.org

mr-asa
                    Participant

quote pondrocket:

Asa

Slow down on the disassembly or you’ll have a bunch of broken bolts. If you have a salty it will be a very painstaking disassembly. Over on our website there is a you tube video on removal take a look and Remember go slow.

Travis
                      Webmaster Great Lakes Chapter
                      http://www.liquidassetsonline.org

Thanks Travis
                      I used every trick I learned in 10 years of being a mechanic (worked at Eglin AFB where a good amount of our stuff worked on the beaches.) Absolutely none of them worked. The closest they got to working was one bolt got loose enough in the body of the head that it snapped down in the block. At least the rest snapped at the head of the bolt so I essentially have a bunch of studs.

The shank just rusted to the body of the head on each of them.

david-bartlett
                      Participant

Evan,

It sounds as if your are saying the bolt shaft is stuck to the hole in the head. This is pretty common, and if you can get the head off without damaging it or the block, then you can likely get the bolts out of the block.

Try some heat(Hot water) and some dead-blow hammer treatment to get the head off. Nothing to lose now.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 21 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.