Home Forum Ask A Member Prop Opinion Please!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    reivertom
    Participant

US Member

I have a 1985 Johnson 2hp that I got for a real nice price several years ago. It was hardly used, so it still has decent compression even though it was made during the 100/1 oil mix fiasco. I am going through it to use as a light backup motor for when I take a relic down the river. I have the original plastic prop that looks like the old "QD" weedless type 3 blade, and I have a 3 blade aluminum that was used in the older models, and looks like a modern clever type prop. What would the difference be in the performance between these two? Thanks, Tom

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Not meaning to be a wise guy, but—Performance? In a 2hp? Is it expected to do anything other than push the boat?

fifty20ne
        Participant

US Member

Tom,

I have a 1986 Evinrude Junior 2 HP and found the plastic prop actually works better pushing my 15 Mutineer
          sailboat. The plastic prop blades will flex somewhat and lets the motor rev higher. Please take that 100:1 sticker
          off the tank and run a good 50:1 oil mix

Good Luck,

Bob

reivertom
          Participant

US Member

The sticker was the first thing to go. Whomever came up with the 100/1 idiocy should’ve been horse whipped. I know "performance" probably wasn’t the best word, but I couldn’t come up with an alternative off the cuff. I guess I’ll stay with the plastic one it has for now, it might get me back to the ramp 10 minutes quicker in a rain storm some day.. If I get real bored sometime I’ll try the aluminum just for kicks. I recon they changed them for a reason. Thanks, Tom

fisherman6
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Tom,
              Just for kicks one of these days, maybe I can try something and let you know the results. I have a ’77 Johnson 2hp with the aluminum ‘cleaver’ style prop and also a ’87 Evinrude 2.5hp twin cyl with the plastic ‘weedless’ style prop. The props are interchangeable so I could compare ‘performance’ of both props on both motors to see how they differ (or not). My gut tells me the plastic prop is every bit as good as the aluminum one for either motor but it might be interesting to know.
              -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

lotec
              Participant

I’ve found the nylon props to be better as well – at least on a small dingy. Another plus is they don’t get fused to the nylon center hub the way the aluminum ones seem to. (A pain when you need to replace a shear pin!) I’ve always been concerned that one of the blades would break, but they seem to be pretty durable.

reivertom
                Participant

US Member

I guess I’ll have to ski behind some other boat, but it’s nice to have some info on the differences. :^)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.