Home Forum Ask A Member Prop polishing

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    1957evinrude
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I want to shine up this prop . It doesn’t look like it’s been used but very dull. What would be a good way to polish it ? Materials used that would work well.

3BABB0B0-6279-48A3-9AC7-10268973227B

• This topic was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Mumbles.
      Mumbles
      Participant

If you are doing it by hand, soaking it in ketchup is supposed to work but there are proper polishes meant for brass which you should be able to find at your local hardware store. I tried using Twinkle once meant for copper pots and pans but it was abrasive and scratched the metal. It sure took the tarnish of though!

If you are using a buffer, a rouge meant for brass will give a mirror finish to the metal. It may take two different steps using different color rouges. You just have to remember that the red jewelers rouge will color the metal a bit, making it a bit darker and that’s why I don’t like using it on aluminum. White rouge gives the best finish to aluminum.

Steve Martin
        Participant

US Member

You will get great results with Simichrome polish. I’ve used it for years on all types of metal with success. It’s readily available.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

When I was in the army, Everybody had a can of Brasso in their foot locker.

todd281
            Participant

I`ve also used toothpaste in a pinch

Samuel Phelps
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You could start with around 220 grit wet or dry sandpaper and work your way to 3000 or more .. Some Mothers mag polish mixed in will help to …

1957evinrude
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the comments ! It will look good on the motor after its shiny

The Boat House
                  Participant

The Boat House
                    Participant

lloyd
                      Participant

US Member

I think Tubs covered it very well. I also like Brasso and Never Dull.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.