Home Forum Ask A Member QD 16 Prop Shaft Seal

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    fisherman6
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hello All,
      I’m resealing the gearcase of my 1955 Johnson 10hp QD-16. It had the original brass C/R Seal #302 435 in it. I have not been able to locate a proper replacement for this seal. Does anyone have a source for this seal? The prop shaft measures 0.622 on the sealing surface, the bore is 1.250 in the bearing carrier and the seal is 0.312 wide to fit the pocket depth. I do not want to put a carbon steel seal in it. I want brass or stainless steel. The only seal I have found that is close is for a 0.625 shaft and a 1.125 bore with a 0.312 pocket depth. I could make a reducer bushing for the bearing carrier to allow me to use the smaller diameter bearing but would rather have the proper seal if I can get it. I have another QD 16 that may need a reseal but I may think twice about pulling the prop shaft seal if it seems OK yet after 61 years. Wishing now I’d have checked this one before pulling it.
      -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

frankr
      Participant

US Member

You already suggested the solution I use—a reducer bushing and use the seal for later motors (1956-up I think but could be mistaken)

fisherman6
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks Frank. I was afraid that would be the route I’d end up taking. I haven’t totally given up on the seal but it sure seems to be an elusive devil.
          -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Mumbles
          Participant

Here’s just what the doctor ordered. Easy to make and saves a lot of time searching for hard to find parts.

Attachments:

fisherman6
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks Mums. That’s exactly what I was planning to do if I couldn’t find the seal.
              -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hmmm, wish marineengine still had the 1955 parts breakdowns, but they don’t…Is 302435 the correct part number, or perhaps just a stray number stamped into the seal housing. I would think that seal housing is the same one used on later model 57 10-18hp models, but perhaps not…The part number for 1957 is: 307563 supercedes to 321788. I realize that sometimes they changed the housings slightly, different ODs for the seals….Perhaps you could just use the prop shaft seal housing from a later model, along with the later seal…Yeah, I know I’m just spit balling here, you will need the actual 55 parts breakdown to see if the housing supercedes…
                Just a thought in case the reducing bushing isn’t an easy option…

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                  quote Mumbles:

Here’s just what the doctor ordered. Easy to make and saves a lot of time searching for hard to find parts.

Looks nice mumbles, but where did you find that reducing bushing?

ede
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

According to my parts book, the seal p/n is 302495 for the prop shaft seal. SKF 6280 or SKF 6925 will work. Upper seal part numbers are shown above. I have both.
                    Ed

lindy46
                    Participant

US Member
                      seakaye12
                      Participant

US Member

Wow is it just me or have others found that MarineEngine’s prices have gone up a lot recently?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.