Home Forum Ask A Member QD 17 driveshaft

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    skanders01
    Participant

Looking for some thoughts as to what to do with this driveshaft before bundling up the lower end and waiting for soft water to give it a go behind a boat. This motor runs in a tank. Upper 60’s compression, and great spark. Pictures are representative. All four splines have the same damage. The rest of the shaft is in good shape.

Repair (not sure of cost)?
      Replace (looked high and low for a used shaft with no luck so far, cost unknown)?
      Use as is (will probably work OK on shakeout cruise and fail when on the middle of a big water with a big storm coming!)

I have not taken the powerhead off to look for any damage in the business end of the power train, and probably should, but just trying to get my lower end back together to test it out before I put too much more effort in.

Penny for your thoughts?

IMG_0212

IMG_0213

IMG_0218

IMG_0219

Kyle Anderson
      Trempeleau, WI
      skanders@triwest.net
      920-764-0501

• This topic was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Mumbles.
      dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

took how many years to wear that far. how many left? I would use John Deer corn head grease and a O ring and be done with it.
        can it be flipped over ???????

Tinman
        Participant

Let me look when I get home. I think I have a qd-17 parts motor with a good driveshaft. Bryan

frankr
          Participant

It’s almost a guarantee that the crankshaft spines are in worse condition. Damage was caused by water getting into splines and rusting the ones in crankshaft. Lesson to be learned. Never leave tho oring out.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Like Frank says, the crank is probably in similar condition.. Does this engine get a lot of use? If not, I would look for a decent used driveshaft, use the OMC moly lube liberally and replace the oring. I would probably pull the gearcase yearly to inspect the splines.
              Before installing the new driveshaft in the gearcase, you may want to lube it with WD40 and ram it in and out of the crankshaft splines to clean out remaining rust. Then, I would lube the upper driveshaft splines liberally with moly lube and ram it in and out of the crank splines…Do this a few times to get at much grease into the crank splines as possible. Once the gearcase is reassembled, clean and lube the splines once again before gearcase installation…

labrador-guy
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Are you able to do any braising? I have one around here that looked like that. I put some brass on the wear spots and filed it smooth. It will last as long as I do!

dale

reivertom
                Participant

I see a few “parts motors” for sale cheap here and there. Maybe you will get luck and find one for 30 bucks. I’d find out what motors that part will cross reference to, and expand your search.

Tinman
                  Participant

I have one. Let me know if your interested in it.

Geer Pyron
                    Participant

Frankr mentions the importance of the o-ring at the top of the drive shaft.
                      I have wondered about its reason for being.
                      I almost know now. To keep water out of the area where drive shaft meets crank.
                      But, how would it get up there? Under normal use any way.
                      As always, these posts make me re-think every thing.
                      I took the head off of one of my CD motors thinking I had left it out.
                      It was there.
                      Damn, which motor was it?
                      Must be, is probably the 68′ 9.5! Dang, not again!
                      G

JMGP

Mumbles
                      Participant

A motor with worn splines will usually rattle when it’s idling and the noise can be confused with piston slap.

If you have a bad shaft with good splines on it, the splined end can be cut off and grafted to the good shaft with bad splines.

DSC01045

DSC01042

DSC01036

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.