Home Forum Ask A Member QD-17 Power Head Swap

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    drifter
    Participant

Would a 57 Evinrude 10hp power head be a “no issue” swap to a 56 Johnson 10hp (QD-17)?
      Thanks,
      Nick

Steve D
      Participant

Shouldn’t be an issue Nick. That cylinder head, if it’s like the one from my ’57, will accept either an Evinrude or Johnson hood. I think all you’d need to do is swap the starter brackets.

57-ev-cyl-hd

fisherman6
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Nick,
          Steve is right on. The powerhead will swap without issue. You just may have to swap the starter brackets. I’m not sure without looking at them. As long as you can mount the hood on it, the engine itself is identical other than color. Then it’ll have a little JohnnyRude in it. 😉
          -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Steve D
          Participant

That’s right Ben, you have to swap them based on the hood you’re using. The hood mounts on the brackets for Johnson 10 HP ’56-’58 are different than Evinrude 10 HP ’56-’58.

johnson-10-hp-brackets
            evinrude-10-hp-bracket-starboard
            evinrude-10-hp-bracket-port

fisherman6
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yeesir! That is the difference in the starter brackets. Those will have to swap. If the cylinder head has both features on it, that will work with just swapping the rubber bumpers. Thanks for posting the pictures, Steve!
              -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

drifter
              Participant

Great! Thanks guys. I have the brackets off of the old power head. Happy days!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.