Home Forum Ask A Member QD-20 questions

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    amuller
    Participant

I picked this up, with tank, for $50 in my neighborhood. I believe this is a 1959. It’s my understanding that this was close to the last year for the pressure tank, and close to the first year for the small gearcase. To me it’s not as attractive as the earlier units with the clamshell hood and silencer, but the price was right.

These seem to have some reputation for gearcase failures. Is there anything in particular that should be done to preserve them (aside from the obvious like keeping grease in and water out)?

There is a fitting on the tiller handle which looks like an attach point for a tiller extension. If so, anyone have details on what these looked like?

I also notice that the pull rope "cover" (306098) has had tabs welded onto it and is bolted to the recoil housing and the face plate. Is this something seen before?

Thanks for any advice!

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

the tiller handle was for a long extention like a pipe that snapped on. the weld on the starter housing was done to keep it from ratteling I would think.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yeah, that starter recoil handle bracket has been messed with, no big deal…The tangs on the bracket are for some sort of rubber gasket/sound shield material…Would not worry about this minor stuff for now…
          Yes, 59 was the last year for the pressure tank, and the second year for the small gearcase…. 59 was the first year for the thermostat also.
          Have you drained the gear lube? Is it OK, any water? And yes, the small gearcase is a weak link for these engines, but failures are usually due to lack of lube/water in gearcase. The gearcases hold up OK if the gear lube is kept clean/fresh/free of water… The failure mode is usually the lower driveshaft bushing and its mating surface on the driveshaft. The bushing is not replaceable, and good driveshafts are getting tough to find.
          And yes, that crazy tiller handle is an accessory item that is used with a tiller extension handle.

Mumbles
          Participant

The throttle grip is part of a Gils Tiller Extension kit you used to be able to buy. A piece of one inch aluminum tubing with a bicycle grip on it will work just as good. This motor would have originally had a black grip similar to a ’57 Johnson white grip on it. The two support plates coming off the starter housing tend to break easily on these motors hence the repair. Good luck finding a decent outer seal for the plate as it took me ages before I managed to find an NOS one for my ’59.

Attachments:

frankr
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

nymarine.ca has reproduction starter plate grommets.

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That is beautiful Mumbles, always loved the 59 Johnson graphics….

amuller
                Participant
                  quote Mumbles:

The throttle grip is part of a Gils Tiller Extension kit you used to be able to buy. A piece of one inch aluminum tubing with a bicycle grip on it will work just as good. This motor would have originally had a black grip similar to a ’57 Johnson white grip on it. The two support plates coming off the starter housing tend to break easily on these motors hence the repair. Good luck finding a decent outer seal for the plate as it took me ages before I managed to find an NOS one for my ’59.

Thanks so much for the info. Mumbles, what do you mean by "The two support plates coming off the starter housing"? I’m confused there.

Also, I notice the tank doesn’t have the usual hose storage "ears" cast into the upper housing. Rather, there are separate steel ears retained by the end screws. I’ve never paid much attention to pressure tanks, or had one before, but have not noticed this design before. What does it say about the vintage of the tank and the diaphragm, etc, needed? It looks like a six gallon, not four gallon, if that matters.

amuller
                  Participant

That is a beautiful looking motor! Thanks for the pics.

Seller of mine says he replaced the coils but couldn’t get it running. I’m interested in trying this on my 12 footer. It doesn’t seem a whole lot heavier than the 5.5, which is a nice motor but lacks thrust, even for this light little boat. I like the absence of the spring shock absorber thing, and being able to disconnect the shift rod without lifting the powerhead. Not sure about installing a pump vs keeping the pressure system, but if it works I think I will just use it. I assume the later bypass covers with the pump mount will interchange?

Steve D
                    Participant

Some time around 1955 they went to cast in ears. So yours is probably ’54 or earlier and judging from slightly squared off look, it might be a ’53 but basically the same as these pictures.

The diaphragm for the tanks with the metal push button have a hole in them for the stem. If your diaphragm needs replacing compare prices. The ones without the hole (later tanks with black plastic button) tend to be cheaper. Then just place your bad one over the new one and mark where the hole is and punch it out yourself.

I personally like the pressure tank system. Others have their own opinion. Sometimes I’ll convert one for someone else but I always make sure it runs ok off the pressure tank first. Then if you have a problem when you convert over you pretty much can isolate it to fuel pump/fuel delivery, etc.

Attachments:

Mumbles
                      Participant
                        quote amuller:

Mumbles, what do you mean by “The two support plates coming off the starter housing”? .

My bad. I was probably thinking of the Evinrude Sportwin starter which has a support for its accordian style seal. 😳

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.