Home Forum Ask A Member QD or Sportwin Tiller handle gears

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tom-c
    Participant

The teeth aren’t meshing tight enough, sometimes it skips a tooth. I need to get a shim washer under the gear where the arrow indicates. What is necessary to get the horizontal gear off in order to put a shim washer under it?

Mumbles
      Participant

You’ll have to remove the tiller handle to get the short shaft out but first, loosen the clamp screw in your picture while everything is together. It’s easier this way. When you slide the short shaft forwards, the small gear and its thrust washer will be free allowing the large gear to be lifted out.

I’ve tightened these up by making slightly thicker thrust washers for the small gear. Also, the plastic bushing for the large gear tends to seize onto the gear shaft wearing inside the bore as they seldom get greased. If so, the gear shaft can be cleaned up so it turns freely in the bushing and then the bushing gets epoxied back into the bracket. Using epoxy to shim it up would probably be easier than using a shim as the bushing is bell shaped in the middle. You’ll see when you get it apart.

Are the gears pointed or worn?

Doug Wilson
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

might remove the shaft that goes to the power head and make sure the gears ar right. I got into that with my 5.5 couple od weeks ago gears just needed to be lined up correct then worked fine again

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
          turned off?

tom-c
          Participant

The gears don’t look worn. This motor has not had a lot of use.

chris-p
            Participant

Looks like it is off a tooth as well?

Im sure, as Mumbles already pointed out, the bushing under it may be worn/damaged.

I always take the whole assembly apart, clean all the old grease, rebuild and re grease. Amazing how smooth she is after that.

tom-c
              Participant

There’s so much grease in there I’m not sure how to get the tiller arm off, but I’ll get into it tomorrow.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.