Home Forum Ask A Member QD19 Overheat Question – Update

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    beerman57
    Participant

Yes, the shallow divider. Man, I even went to Ken Cook Co. and all there is, is generic manuals.

lotec
      Participant

I believe the service bulletin covering the hot leg/paint charring and drilling a water passage to cool it was for the 1955 model year Big Twin/RD motors not the Sportwin/QD. I’m not home so I can’t post that bulletin but I did the update to my ’55 Big Twin so that’s why I remember it. I’ve never seen a "hot shifer" problem on the post ’57 Sportwin/RD models and owned at least a dozen of them, nor do I recall a bulletin on this issue with that series motor. Unfortunately, I think the problem must be elsewhere. Actually a common problem I’ve seen on the Sportwin/QD is water leaking (sometimes profusely!) at the shifter due to wear or a bad O-ring.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Art-
          So your theory is that due the sloppy shift handle, exhaust is relieving through the sloppy bushing causing the excess heat on the handle? Could be.

beerman57
          Participant

I believe there was a bulletin on an RD overheat problem, I’ll go back and look. If so, I’ll be able to get the number, but won’t be able to read it.
            NOPE, a few close, but can’t open/read them.
            http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Ev … _Bulletins

#98 – exh. gas
            #152 – new fastwin exh. tube
            #408 – 10hp conn. rod
            #714 – 1965-66 5hp overheat
            #766 – overheat 3, 5 and 6hp
            #811 – overheat 1967-68 40hp

lotec
            Participant

Here’s a link to the Service Bulletin that I think is what Gary had in mind – as I noted it is for the early 1955 (Mfg late ’54) model year RD/Big Twin not the QD/Sportwin. Link: http://www.oddjobmotors.com/Misc%20Stuf … 20burn.pdf I can’t find anything on a problem with the QDs along these lines.

Regarding the leakage around the handle, yes, my thinking is that if it was worn enough, it’s possible the exhaust heat escaping around the shift handle could heat it up? Not sure what else – I’ve never seen a problem like this. But a 60+ year old motor and many prior owners bodging repairs, who knows….

beerman57
              Participant

Thanks lotec, I guess that wouldn’t apply to a QD since the base of the powerhead is no where near the same. Darn, I thought maybe we had it!

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

OK – I have found bulletins from 1946 through 1951 and 1959 through 1971. I don’t know what happened to 1952 through 1958 …

I did not find what I was looking for, but it was entertaining reading through ’59 through ’67. There were pages of stolen motor bulletins that were eliminated as "obsolete". In any case, the statute of limitations has run out so you all can now proudly display your stolen motors.

. . . . . 😀

Mumbles
                  Participant
                    quote Garry in Tampa:

In any case, the statute of limitations has run out so you all can now proudly display your stolen motors.

. . . . . 😀

Does that mean all the motors I have which are missing their, ahem, ID plates? 😯

jeff-register
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Robert,
                      Garry has been around outboards from day one almost. I’m with him thinking we have a design flaw before it was revised, then came the service report to drill an extra hole for cooling. Nothing to go by but my gut feeling is that Garry has it right. I have looked at very many water discharge from around the head with OMC products without any issues with sucking up water from the bottom seal. My Scotts are the same way, very close to the driveshaft area too. It also seems to cool the shift handle water needs to be close enough to get & keep the linkage with a constant flow of water. I too think between both cylinders firing at 180 degrees out from one another the exhaust gasses are forced down the leg for continued cooling. I bet too the late 58s are different than the early ones too.
                      Best,
                      Jeff

beerman57
                      Participant

So drill a hole like Mumbles said, back on page 3. Drill it from the water intake side so it will be angled slightly down?

I bet too the late 58s are different than the early ones too.
                        You know, I have another QD19 mid, I’ll check serial numbers and inspect it for differences from this one. I know the driveshafts are different – one has splines at the bottom, the other has a key/keyway.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 68 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.