Home Forum Ask A Member Question for Zephyr Guys

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    labrador-guy
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I am working on a Evinrude Zephyr M#4404. I found a drilling in the bottom of the carburetor. This drilling is lined up with a drain tube that looks like it dumps out behind the motor. The tube is not connected to the carb, is it suppose to be? I have a hankering to plug that hole off. Has anyone tried that? Maybe I need a small fitting and hose to replace the original. I sure don’t like a fuel leak under the front cover. Will try to send a couple pictures.

dale

Needs a funnel?

Gas Leak

Mumbles
      Participant

Isn’t that the vent tube which fastens to the bottom of the tank? If it is, it’s been cut off.

labrador-guy
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Mumbles, Nope the vent tube that goes to the tank hooks to the top of the float bowl. I think I will drill n tap the little hole out and install a small nipple that I have in my come handy box. Put a hose on it. That way I can send any loose gas away from the spark jumping area. These Evinrudes were before the war technology. Johnson TN and TD’s of this era were way better machines, IMHO lighter, simpler. I try to figure how things work when I have a machine apart. These are strange carbs for sure.

dale

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by labrador-guy.
          Mumbles
          Participant

I have some Zephyr carbs out in the garage and I’ll take a look at them when I get back from Timmies.

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

THe parts book is not much help . . .

There should be a pressed in nipple that sticks out about ⅜” that directs the surplus fuel from the low speed carburetor to the overboard drain. It is not an air tight connection. It looks like your Zephyr was never drilled for the tube.

labrador-guy
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Garry, I think you are right! Thanks for posting the parts list!

dale

oldemtr
                Participant

If Garry is right, you could direct that tube to a collection can, rather than running it into the lake – Just sayin’

labrador-guy
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

oldemtr, That is what I was thinking. I am learning as I go on this old timer. The gas tank vent also has me thinking. When the operator moves the big black knob off stop. A lever opens up the fuel tank vent. We all know what happens to gas in a tank that is setting in the sun sealed up. It will be under pressure for sure. That pressure dumps out through a vent on top of the float bowl under the motor covers. Not a good thing! If a fellow such as me would remember to loosen the fuel cap before pump en the rewind it might work out better.
                    Maybe this motor needs a catch pan and a bucket good idea!

dale

Mumbles
                    Participant

It took a couple days but I finally found a NOS Zephyr carb and it still has the Navy tag on it! I’m pretty sure the tube is an air bleed for the high speed circuit so leave it alone. My carb also has a short drain tube coming out of the throttle body right beside it. That’s probably there in case the motor floods.

Zephyr-Carb-NOS-002

labrador-guy
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Ok, Thanks Mumbles!

dale

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.