Home Forum Ask A Member Question of seals

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ggoldy
    Participant

Guys, I’m about to remove the old seals from a 54 Corsair foot (a rebranded 53 Scott) so I can measure and order new ones. I can’t find nos seals.The brass caps in the photo, are they part of the seal? Do I need to save and reuse them? If the new seals should come with these caps then what is the correct terminology so I can order the correct type of seal?
      http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/ggold … sort=3&o=0

Thanks

jnjvan
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I believe that your seals have a brass body. It is not a separate cap. You will have a hard time finding new seals like these. You will probably have to settle for steel. I wouldn’t replace them unless they are known to be bad.

JV

chris-p
        Participant

Yeah you wont find the brass ones anymore.

gjonz
          Participant

You didn’t state what model or horsepower…but check with Laings Outboard for seals. He had what i needed for both a Scott 7.5 and 10hp.

Greg

ggoldy
            Participant

gjonz, you’re right about my lack of info. I know better and left it out anyway. It’s a 2854 with a 2855 as a parts motor. Pre bail-o-matic 10 horse. I know they both match the 3853 Scott. Unfortunately the kit I need is the one kit Laings does not have. I’m going to look at the 7.5 horse part numbers, they appear similar, before I call Laings to see if they might have loose seals laying around. The o-rings I can match up. That leaves two problems. The drive shaft has minor pitting at the seal areas. I think I can see the pitting but I can’t feel it. And lastly, the pump housing is still stuck in place. I haven’t damaged it yet, but I would love to get to the seal and o-ring under that.

JV and Chris, thanks for the info on the metal clad seals. Is there a particular name for that type of seal? Is the metal clad seal even necessary?

Thanks

Mumbles
              Participant

Your original seals were brass ‘shielded’ to help keep fish line and other debris out of them. Newer ones have a stainless jacket on them but you might have to settle for a regular style replacement seal which will work fine in clean water.

I don’t have the link handy but if you search for the SKF site, it will show the composition of their seals. Some have a stainless shield covered with the seal material itself but look like regular oil seals.

ggoldy
                Participant

Thank you, Mumbles 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.