Home Forum Ask A Member Quincy Looper

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    chris-p
    Participant

I don’t understand the placement of the gas tank on this monster!?

There is a lot going on there.! Neat though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-antique … lw&vxp=mtr

John Schubert
      Participant

Lifetime Member

It’s a 20H conversion tower that Quincy Welding added the tank portion so that mainly for runabouts the weight of the fuel was as far aft & as far towards water level to allow for better handling runabouts.Johnny Cash’s base guitar player Marshall Grant campaigned boats named "Boat named Sue", "Ring of Fire" & others had a similar tank cast for 4 cylinder Loopers for runabouts. They have "Grant" cast in to them.

outboard315
        Participant

Not the first conversion tower I have seen that has been converted into a gas tank.

r-c
          Participant

Lifetime Member

Quincy made a fuel tank out of the 20-H conversion tower. What isn’t shown in these pictures, is the on the exhaust side, where one exhaust pipe was used as a filler and the other as an air vent. They are rare.
            The powerhead has some up dates like the later pipe system, or big bells. Not unusual, as a race motor will be updated to the last year they were raced to keep pace with the competition.
            Marshall Grant had a tower housing casted that contanied the fuel tank for the four cylinder engines only. It was a squarish tank between the powerhead and lower unit. "Grant" was casted on the sides of the tank.

instigator
            Participant

What a neat piece of history.
              I raced 20H’s (and KG4/Mk 15 and Yamatos) back in the day and never saw one of those. I started in ’76 and I’d say that motor preceded me by a few yrs.
              I mainly ran Stock though but loved the Mod and Pro races to see what the mad scientists came up with.
              Last Pro race I was at, a guy had a motor that was two 4 cyl opposed Koniegs bolted on top of each other!

r-c
              Participant

Lifetime Member

What you saw were two 500cc Konny (a copy of the Konig from the Check Republic, because Konig was already out of business) powerheads on top of each other to make a 1000cc engine for the 1100cc runabout class by Steve Letzell. It was built on the anniversary year to honor what Dieter Konig did back in the 1980’s in making a 850cc engine to run in the OE class in Europe.
                What Dieter did was couple a 500cc powerhead with a 350cc powerhead on top to make an 850cc for OE class. It would be the equal to our USA Mod 50 class. It took a year or so, but they won the World Championship with this combination. Just more confirmation of Dieter’s engineering.
                Steve had spent many hours at the Konig factory through the years and decided at the anniversary of the 8 cylinder engine, to make another, because he knew how Dieter did this, because he was there. What to hear stories?
                Steve’s only problem was the bottom belt for the rotary valve drive came off when he tested it, it was awesome when it ran, and never reached its full potential.
                However, again this one of the problems when one goes out side of the box. It takes time to make it work.

instigator
                Participant
                  quote R. C.:

What you saw were two 500cc Konny (a copy of the Konig from the Check Republic, because Konig was already out of business) powerheads on top of each other to make a 1000cc engine for the 1100cc runabout class by Steve Letzell. It was built on the anniversary year to honor what Dieter Konig did back in the 1980’s in making a 850cc engine to run in the OE class in Europe.
                  What Dieter did was couple a 500cc powerhead with a 350cc powerhead on top to make an 850cc for OE class. It would be the equal to our USA Mod 50 class. It took a year or so, but they won the World Championship with this combination. Just more confirmation of Dieter’s engineering.
                  Steve had spent many hours at the Konig factory through the years and decided at the anniversary of the 8 cylinder engine, to make another, because he knew how Dieter did this, because he was there. What to hear stories?
                  Steve’s only problem was the bottom belt for the rotary valve drive came off when he tested it, it was awesome when it ran, and never reached its full potential.
                  However, again this one of the problems when one goes out side of the box. It takes time to make it work.

Killer!
                  Thanks for the history lesson. It did not run when I saw it.

I never heard of the motor that Dieter built??

When I was 19 or 20 I worked for Tim Butts building the legendary "Butts Aerowings" in Houston and got up close and personal w/the baddest Konigs on the planet in that era.
                  We spent one weekend testing a new lay down boat at past World Champion Wayne Baldwins house on Lake Corpus Cristi. Pretty heady stuff for a punk kid 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.