"58 Mark 28 starter

Home Forum Ask A Member "58 Mark 28 starter

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• wedgie

Replies: 1041
    Topics: 78

Getting back to this Mark 28 after 4 years. I really love the look of this particular model, but looks aren’t enough eh ! I should get this one to run right and in order to make it run, the starter needs to work.

the posts the starter pawls pivot on are coming loose and wiggle about like a tooth about to fall out.The parts motor one is pretty bad. I can see why they become loose due to the forces applied trying to start the thing! Any recommended fix for this issue.

Thanks for any tips 🙂

dave-bernard

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 2014
    Topics: 30

GET ANOTHER ONE IN GOOD SHAPE. I HAVE SOME IF NEEDED.1 914 310 7086

jeff-register

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1564
    Topics: 54

There is nothing wrong with a new starter. Jerking on the rope before it is engaged trashes the pawls. Having it tuned up lets it start without pulling the guts out of the starter. My Mk 28 is very hard to start because of the compression, but a few pulls easy fills the crankcase & the next pull starts it. Need to get the parts you need to repair some jerk destroyed & didn’t know how to tune it up!
    Sorry to say. Tune it up & fix the starter. You will be suprised how well it performs for you.

wedgie

Replies: 1041
    Topics: 78

quote betty ann bernardd:

GET ANOTHER ONE IN GOOD SHAPE. I HAVE SOME IF NEEDED.1 914 310 7086

I knew you’d say that Dave 😛 I will have to do a little more assessing of this motor to remind myself what all it may need. I bought the water jacket cover from you years ago 😉 . I know I need a gearcase shim that can be had from Marine engine. Give me a few days and I’ll give you a jingle.

As you say Jeff, this one is real hard to pull over. Have to hold the stand down with one hand while pulling with the other. That’s ok though as I will screw the stand down to the deck once it’s ready to test in the barell. But first I think I will have to open it up again.

Thanks Guys

jeff-register

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1564
    Topics: 54

Wedgie,
    Why do you need to get inside it? Hope everything is OK except the starter. Many forget the o-ring on the case bottom stud. That would spray oil everywhere though. My 63 200 needed new rings too. Wish you luck! Be sure to ground the mag plate on this bird too.
    Jeff

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.