Home Forum Ask A Member "Newer" 25/35hp OMC compatibilities

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    dan-in-tn
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Those water tube guides were used on 35hp models only from ’76 to ’84. They snap into the exhaust snout and guide the water tube into the grommet.

Dan in TN

johnyrude200
      Participant

I’m going to write this one off to a faulty thermostat, despite the thing being brand new.

It may be of some note, that the temperature in my test tank is current 101° too, and we’ve had a string of days over the past week here in NH that have been at least high 80’s, mid 90’s, so the motor is receiving hot water to start with.

Running it without a thermostat still had it running within operating range, and sustained WOT for 5 mins only had cylinder 1 climb to about 163°, then the water exited out of the motor at the top, so I’ll take it.

I know it’s a NO-NO to run without a thermostat, but for now I’ll just go with it. When temperatures fall in the next month I’ll run a heat gun on it on my pontoon boat (which will hopefully finish construction in the next 10 days), and see what it’s running. If it’s running cold I’ll replace the thermostat and re-test.

johnyrude200
        Participant

So revisiting this thread, I’m going to have to pull the exhaust cover and examine the inner exhaust baffle, pull the powerhead to make sure there isn’t a crushed upper water tube grommet, and double check the impeller housing for air leaks.

I ran this motor on my pontoon and there is certainly an exhaust leak somewhere causing back pressure into the cooling system. The motor is going back and forth between pumping just moderate water. The water is getting as far as the tell tale, but then not making it’s way through the rest of the motor, and sometimes it’s even stopping and not making it through to the tell tale.

I do remember this motor having mud dubbers in the outer thermostat cover passages, and even in the exit hole. I’m wondering if they may have climbed up through the upper water tube grommet in the exhaust housing and nested on the inner exhaust bypass passages (port side of motor) as well. This motor had been sitting with the gearcase off for several years in an unheated mechanic’s barn.

I ran it for a few hours yesterday with no thermostat out on the boat and caught it stop pumping water a few times at low idle/neutral. Turned if off for a few seconds, started back up, and WHOOSH, out comes plenty of water and steam as it’s cooling back down and running cold, if anything. I have observed repeated plugs in the telltale as well, using weed wacker wire to unclog.

Will report back once I figure out the culprit!

collectorinspector
          Participant

May I ask what the model and serial numbers are for this 35? check that the plate serial is the same as the round medalian on the block serial number.

They are my fav motor……….if indeed 1978.

And a few pics please?

Carb linkages and ignition plate cam follower..Roller?

Also the exhaust relief holes on leg under power head.

Is the tell tail hose connected to the top or the bottom of the manifold cover as well.

1977 35 was a lot of bits for 1977. 1978 was really different bits and ONLY for 1978. There is no comparison for later years at all. 1978 has to be 1978 bits.

B

PS: I have just read that it is on a pontoon……………what prop do you have on the motor? OEM part number should be on it or Diameter and pitch will be marked if not a genuine part. What type of pontoon? How fast does the motor push it now at WOT…….or……2/3 WOT?

Also: how far down is the motor into the water on this pontoon………….Pics would actually help a lot.

pappy
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years
              quote johnyrude200:

It was turning 4800RPM, max, with a test prop. Basically it would hit “max RPM” (for now), hold that for about 8-12 seconds, then lose power. It was pulsating at the top end and acting erratically at anything beyond 2/3rd throttle. I double checked the link and sync and that is all OK. Didn’t get to work on it again yet, but the float was set a bit off, so I’m going to adjust that and then retest. I pulled the high speed jet before typing the last post to insure it was correct, and also clean. The TACH I’m using is a simple one that involves winding a wire around a single plug lead. I will say the motor idles down to a respectable 760RPM before wanting to stall out.
              !

The symptom of hitting a good WOT RPM then slowing is indicative of an enlarged high speed jet. Your "checking" probably consisted of verifying that it was the correct number stamped on the side of the jet and thats more than most folks will do so good for you.
              Having seen this scenario countless times, I have lost count on how many HS jets I have seen that have internal erosion that ends up creating an oversized orifice. Change out the jet with brand new, not another used jet.
              If you have a number drill set that is unmolested you can check the jet. With what you are describing I would bet you will find at least .004 larger than what the jet is supposed to be.

johnyrude200
              Participant

Update to this strung out thread. Lots of layers to cover here.

First off, I need to give a proper callout to everyone who’s responded, and pay, once again, my homage to T2stroke, Fleetwin, FrankR, Pappy, Mumbles, and several others who are willing to share secrets with the rest of us who just haven’t put in the hours they have. Everything after this sentence simply corroborates their previous posts.

For the recent respondents — once I have this motor (which currently is on my personal vessel, which mean I’ve spent extra time on it with the cosmetics…but the same stuff I do with all motors mechanically) back together, I will post pictures of it.

So T2stroke – I have torn apart my first 4 of these motors in the last month, and this is (ironically being my personal motor), the 1st one that has clearly had the situation you have been warning me about since last January during our first phone call ever.

Fleetwin – this is what you have been mentioning in most of your posts when asking if the motor(s) were salt water or overheated. Well this motor seems to be a mixed use motor, at least 30% of the fasteners have snapped when I’ve pulled this thing apart, and at this point I’ve pulled the thermostat cover and cylinder head (3 broken bolts needing boring out and retapping) and now the exhaust bypass (3 broken bolts, 2 retaped, 1 left with the stud there…). If this thing doesn’t pump like a champ by tomorrow afternoon, then there’s only 1 thing left…the upper water tube grommet…and for the love of the almighty I hope it doesn’t come to that.

Here is a picture of my 1978 inner exhaust baffle (right) next to a 1981 baffle (from a donor motor). PLEASE NOTE that this picture seems to make both seem different sizes (wrong angle), they are identical in dimensions.

Pretty significant changes in just a couple of years, and to T2stroke’s point, I can see why my motor had poor water pumping. In fact I’m more impressed that the new impeller I installed had enough power to overcome the intrusion of exhaust gasses. My motor had erratic water pumping. I ran it for 6 hours with no thermostat and it was actually running cold, but the telltale never showed powerful waterflow. And that is the reason why I tore it apart and here are the differences:

#1 (right baffle) shows the original water holes meant to distribute water onto the exhaust baffle to keep it at an acceptable temperature, and help water flow into the cylinder jacket.

#1 (left baffle 1980+) shows the enlargement of water flow to the cylinder jacket after initially passing the exhaust baffle. That is at least 10x larger.

#2 shows how these ‘deflectors’ were designed to redirect exhaust down into the exhaust housing at the powerhead, but mechanically, I surmise this also provides a significant structural component, as a fold in metal has huge benefits

#3 allows water to cover more of the baffle (really where the original design separates from the inner/possibly outer gaskets, allowing exhaust pressure to suppress water supply to the powerhead) to keep it cool and from deforming even if, say waterflow is restricted with a weak water pump, plastic bag over the intake, whatever

#4 (bottom) is to allow water to flow into the high risk area immediately from the copper water tube.

#4 (top) are large areas to allow cold water to first meet this exhaust area and I would surmise, stop the warping of the baffle.

From all these improvements, all I can conclude is that everything was made to stop a common issue, and to keep the motor from overheating even during poor water flow. But let’s say your thermostat gets stuck shut, or somehow dirt/debris clogs up the holes either on the exhaust baffle leading to the cylinder jacket, or the cylinder head itself. You still have water flowing through the baffle reducing the risk of a warp. Still have an overheat situation, but hopefully the lesser of two evils.

Just like the 9.9/15 designs…the telltale may show plenty of water pumping, but not necessarily a correctly functioning cooling passageway/system. These 25/35hp motors are very similar in design to there little bro 9.9/15hp siblings.

My motor doesn’t have the provision for the overheat alarm on the control box, but I plan to update it with a newer cylinder head to take advantage of this valuable feature.

Seems as if all these improvements came through in 1980 (as mentioned by everyone), but as the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Here are a couple of pics of the warped baffle. First one I’ve seen personally, tried to get some good angles to show the warping. I guess when you design a product to be mass produced, you don’t know these types of things are going to happen until the ‘rubber hits the road.’ But in the repair business, the books don’t tell you about this stuff until you see it first hand.

I have to say that I didn’t even notice the warping when I first pulled the baffle off until I took a 2nd look at it. It was painfully obvious that this is probably the root of my cooling system issues, but I can only imagine if the baffle is less warped how it might be difficult to recognize this same issue?

In terms of mounting – I figured out (after my 1 day initial run of the self-constructed tritoon last Sunday), that my original transom design was correct, placing the ventilation plate in line with the bottom of the middle tube. HOWEVER, the panther power trim has about a 3" rise, which lifts the motor the equivalent difference, and is way too high for any small motor on an aluminum boat/vessel, and caused ventilation at anything above 1/3rd throttle for me. So hopefully by this Wednesday both the motor and vessel will be revised. I hit 14MPH at 1/3rd throttle on my mini-tritoon, so I’m thinking 30MPH may not be out of the question once everything is fixed 😆 😀 😮 😯 😮

Prop is a standard 10 x 13.

johnyrude200
                Participant

So apparently I got a little too ahead of myself here. Apparently in 1979 the structure and path of the water flow on the exhaust side of the 25/35’s was rerouted, and that is why the exhaust baffle is so different. Long story short, you can’t take a 1979-thru exhaust baffle and put it on a pre 1979 motor.

Looks like I’ll be manufacturing a new baffle from 1/8th aluminum, because replacements are NLA, and I already tore apart another 1978 motor I happened to have for parts, only to discover that one had a warped baffle too.

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

By baffle, I am assuming you mean the SS plate between the outer exhaust cover and the block. I wouldn’t discard it just because it is warped when removed from the engine, this is what is usually found when these pieces are removed. The SS plate will be sandwiched between the two flat surfaces (block and outer cover), and will be flat where it needs to be.
                    In any event, I did find a new 319577 on ebay if you would feel better replacing it:
                    http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMC-Evinrude-Jo … Bq&vxp=mtr
                    And yes, there were many changes made to this cooling system in the early 80s, none of the pieces will interchange.

collectorinspector
                    Participant

That is correct. 1978 parts only for a 1978. 1978 has 12 bolts and later have 15 bolts.

The warp is from where the exhaust strikes the centre of the plate in two spots. One will be distorted more than the other.

Simple task of gently flattening the "Bumps" out with a rubber mallet or similar. Best done on a folded blanket on a flat surface. Gently gently.

The warp then turns into a twist which can be corrected by hand.

It will sit flat on a sheet of glass in no time.

Check water gallery into block, use new gaskets and bolt it up.

Once bolted up it will not leak and the plate will distort as it wants without shifting on the bolts at all.

If you use aluminium you are asking for further trouble down the track.

If a new plate was available and installed…….then pulled off again 12 months later……it will be warped when sitting on the workbench……nature of the beast.

Cheers

B

johnyrude200
                      Participant

The issue I have here, is that a couple of the exhaust cover screws broke off in the motor. I tried drilling them out, but 1 of them the tap broke off in. Lucky me. It seems that the most important ones are in the middle of the cover, as this is where the exhaust pulses would get through to affect water flow.

So I ended up fabricating a new plate from 1/16th aluminum (same thickness as the original baffle). I widened out the inlet hole of water supplying water to the cylinder water jacket. I also used some crankcase sealant on the metal wall that if the baffle separates away from, exhaust gases would push the water back down the water inlet at the base of the powerhead. I had to beef this up, beyond the typical OMC gasket sealant, because one of the missing screws is a middle one on the cover. So I don’t want to chance anything more than I have to.

I’m letting it sit overnight and will report back. I’m hopeful that this is strong enough to prevent issues anytime soon. I’ll hold onto the old baffles if necessary.

I think this motor was a mixed use (fresh/salt) motor. Spent a lot of time on this one, so the only 2 other things I can think of which would affect the cooling system is that rubber grommet under the powerhead or I can double check the o-ring in the impeller housing to see if it needs replacing. That is…beyond the typical things (which I’ve already gone through).

Running out of time with this one — only a couple of weeks left before it is WAY too cold to be out in a boat!

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 46 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.