Home Forum Ask A Member Radio Suppresion Coils????

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ken Smith
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I’m working on a 1964 Johnson FDEL-18. Its pretty rough but its got great compression so I’m going for it. It has 2 what appears to be coils in the grounding wires going to the points.I’ve never seen this before. The best I can come up with is “radio Suppresion coils” that I found in the 1964 accessory catalogue but they only show them for 28 HP and up. My question is – What are they for and do I really need them? Thanks Ken

IMG_0225

IMG_0227

www.kenadianoutboards.com

Ken Smith
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Another Picture ?

IMG_0225

frankr
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

That’s what they are. They suppress the “noise or static” that the ignition can cause on radios, fish finders, depth finders, whatever. Do you really need them? Let’ just say I knew they existed, but never saw any.

32.-Radio-Noise-Suppression-Kit-18-33-40hp

Ken Smith
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Thanks Frank. That’s interesting. I’ve run alot of motors with radios and fish finders and never had any problems with noise or static. I’ll throw them in a drawer and in case I ever have static problems I’ll put them back on. Thanks Again. Ken

Mumbles
            Participant

Solid core plug wires and standard plugs emit more RF noise than carbon core wires and resistor plugs do do and these were meant to keep that annoying noise down on your AM radios. RF noise isn’t too much of a problem these days as most people listen to FM radio and transducer cables and other electronic cables in your boat are heavily shielded to prevent picking up RF interference.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.