Home Forum Ask A Member rare motor sighting

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

SE-50 is the right ID. Evidently the tank is wrong. George, do you run yours with a 6-volt battery, or 12-V?

Best,
      T2

kees
      Participant

International Member - 2 Years
        quote George Emmanuel:

Good catch Kees! The tank is wrong for that motor…..the 1/2 speed rotary valve indicates it should have the tank with the filler at the rear—but who knows what Johnson did with left-over parts!

bullseye
        thank you
        😉 😉

Anonymous

What tank did they use on the 1929 S-45?

Best,
          T2

george-emmanuel
          Participant

US Member

[SE-50 is the right ID. Evidently the tank is wrong. George, do you run yours with a 6-volt battery, or 12-V?
            /quote]

Chris, I run mine on a 6 volt. You must use the compression release otherwise the starter won’t spin the motor. The tank in the example is the S-45 tank. Proper 1/2 speed rotary valve motor tank has the filler on the rear, a much better design!

George

Anonymous

OK, I was just reading through my Johnson book that lists parts used by more than one motor.

It says the SE-50 used the tank with the same part number as the S-45, so if its correct that the S-50 tank should have the filler neck in the rear, I guess they revised the part but didn’t change the part number.

The Owen Dyneto is positive ground if I recall correctly eh.

Best,
              T2

Anonymous

FWIW – she turns over well, sounds and feels strong, and has good spark. Next spring I shall pour some petrol in that there wrong tank and find out how she goes.

Best,
                T2

george-emmanuel
                Participant

US Member

Chris, I’ll be anxious to see how well yours performs. All those motors were way over-propped. I got mine from the original owner whose father bought it for him when he was a teenager. He apparently ran the hell out of it because the gearcase parts were completely worn out. But one thing I noticed was he had taken the original 2 blade prop and cut the blade removing 3/4" effectively reducing the diameter 1.5"s.

I have an S-45 and an S-65 and both require a bunch of advance to get them really going. Check your advance as I don’t think the system design allows for full advance.

There is a seal that will be an easy install for the prop shaft. All you have to do is push in the prop shaft bearing (which there is plenty of room to do) and install the seal. Let me know if you need the number as I have it at my shop.

George

Randy in Tampa
                  Participant

Nice catch Chris, the external rotary valve Johnsons are my favorite motors of all time and the main focus of my outboard collection, if you need parts to get it going please let me know I may have them, good luck getting her going, please keep us updated and if you do please post a video thanks Randy in Tampa

dsaulsbury
                    Participant

US Member

Here is another rare one.

No it’s not missing the tank.

Don

adam1961
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Don,
                        I suspect that some of these motors that have "wrong" tanks may be due to not having been supplied with a tank, having been sold with a boat that had built in fuel tank. Later, people may have added a tank that fit for more conventional use. I see no reason to have the diaphragm type carb with a gravity feed tank???
                        I am be in left field, but just a guess.

Adam

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.