Home Forum Ask A Member RD 14 Gears

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    stanley
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Can The the dog,forward and reverse gears be re-arranged in this gear case.In other words,can the dog be turned around on the shaft and can forward and reverse gears swap positions?The dog and forward gear are worn just enough that it will ocassionally “bump” under load.I have the gear case apart and just trying to figure how to proceed

• This topic was modified 5 years ago by stanley.
      fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I do not think the forward and reverse gears can be swapped into each other’s positions on the prop shaft. I have had a couple of these apart and seem to have noted differences in them that would prevent this. I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong. The clutch dog can, however, be swapped end for end and if the reverse end of the clutch dog is in better condition sometimes that is enough to cure the problem. Granted, if the drive cogs on the gears are rounded enough, everything would have to be replaced. The entire gear set is listed in parts diagram on ME and on the microfiche card I have under one part number for the whole set of three gears. I know each gear has its own number, but I do not have that information at my disposal at the moment.
        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Cannot say for sure concerning the RD-14, but I do know the RD-17-up gears can be swapped by changing the bronze bushings in them. One is slip-fit, other is pressed in. Proceed accordingly.

fisherman6
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That’s good to know, Frank. It seems likely then that the RD-14 is the same way. I don’t think these changed a while lot during that time.
            -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

dan-in-tn
            Participant

US Member

Yes the gears can be turned with the forward gear bushing changed. The gears are the same part number from RD-10 thru RD-19, with only the pinion gear changing on the RD-19. I have changed several. I built a shoulder press tool to use with the arbor shaft from my bearing race kit. Works well! The bushing is not that hard to press, just need to be careful with the bushing as you will be using it again.

Dan in TN

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.