RD 14 Hard to start

Home Forum Ask A Member RD 14 Hard to start

This topic contains 11 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Avatar stanley 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    stanley
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 292
    Topics: 97

I’m slowly getting this project straightened out,BUT,one problem persists.Starting cold takes a dozen pulls then a backfire.A few more pulls and it starts and seems to run fine.After that original start it starts First or second pull every time.All new ignition parts,timed with timing fixture,rebuilt carb.High speed out 1/3 low speed out 11/4.I have not run it on boat yet.What am I missing?

frankr
    frankr
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 4244
    Topics: 43

I’d check the throttle sync and choke.

stanley
    US Member - 1 Year

I’ve synced the linkage,but will check that again.What am I looking for on choke?Not closing completely?

fleetwin
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2659
    Topics: 32

Yes, I would check the choke linkage….Perhaps have an assistant hold the choke completely closed the next time you try to start it….

jpatti75
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 283
    Topics: 43

For what it is worth, I have an RD-13, and while it is in very good condition, it is not the easiest starting of motors when it is cold (although no backfire issue with mine). What I have noticed is that if you really give the flywheel the full amount of rotations that the length of rope in the recoil will allow, it will start up without too many pulls. If you’re doing short pulls, mine is a bear to start.

JP

olcah
    olcah
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 323
    Topics: 69

I have a similar 1954 Evinrude. It has the friction device removed from the tiller handle as I use remote controls. When pulling over I noticed that the throttle setpoint moved towards slow which made starting harder. I just used a long rubber band to hold the throttle lever forward when starting.

Mumbles
    Mumbles
    Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4104
    Topics: 420

Try richening both needles when it’s cold before trying to start it. As the motor warms up, they can be turned back to where they were or wherever the motor runs best. This is why the adjusting knobs are on the front of the motor, to be played with and tweaked!

wbeaton
    Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 615
    Topics: 67

I agree with Mumbles. 1/3 turn on the high seems a little lean especially since you haven’t run it on a boat. I normally start at 3/4 of a turn and finally tuning (on a boat) lands around 1/2 turns on high. However, you won’t know exactly where the needles need to be until you run it under load.

Wayne
    Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

David Bartlett
    David Bartlett
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 124
    Topics: 6

I agree with Mumbles and Wayne. My RD likes it a bit rich to start. Opening the high speed needle a little will help. My motor will start cold on 2 pulls, and I believe yours will also once you get used to it.

This is a lot of fun on my 14 footer.

stanley
    US Member - 1 Year

Thanks to all of you who gave advice (and encouragement).I went out this morning and started it first pull with no backfire.Last week I re-synced carb and mag,rechecked spark,richened high speed setting.It was much easier to start.I let it sit several days so this morning would be a true test.Pulled out choke gave it a strong pull using all the rope and it started.Next week I’ll try it on the boat.

fisherman6
    fisherman6
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1742
    Topics: 39

Great! Glad to hear you got.it sorted. I love running my RDs on my 14 footers. Great fun indeed!

Mine both like a rich setting for a cold start and using all the rope helps a lot too.

-Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

stanley
    US Member - 1 Year

Took it for a 1hr trip up the mighty,muddy,debris filled Ohio river today.RD14 ran great pushing a 15 ft Lyman.Had a little trouble with my remote controls but a fun trip,nonetheless.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Avatar stanley.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.