Home Forum Ask A Member RD 14 Hard to start

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    stanley
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m slowly getting this project straightened out,BUT,one problem persists.Starting cold takes a dozen pulls then a backfire.A few more pulls and it starts and seems to run fine.After that original start it starts First or second pull every time.All new ignition parts,timed with timing fixture,rebuilt carb.High speed out 1/3 low speed out 11/4.I have not run it on boat yet.What am I missing?

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I’d check the throttle sync and choke.

stanley
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’ve synced the linkage,but will check that again.What am I looking for on choke?Not closing completely?

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes, I would check the choke linkage….Perhaps have an assistant hold the choke completely closed the next time you try to start it….

jpatti75
            Participant

For what it is worth, I have an RD-13, and while it is in very good condition, it is not the easiest starting of motors when it is cold (although no backfire issue with mine). What I have noticed is that if you really give the flywheel the full amount of rotations that the length of rope in the recoil will allow, it will start up without too many pulls. If you’re doing short pulls, mine is a bear to start.

JP

olcah
              Participant

I have a similar 1954 Evinrude. It has the friction device removed from the tiller handle as I use remote controls. When pulling over I noticed that the throttle setpoint moved towards slow which made starting harder. I just used a long rubber band to hold the throttle lever forward when starting.

Mumbles
                Participant

Try richening both needles when it’s cold before trying to start it. As the motor warms up, they can be turned back to where they were or wherever the motor runs best. This is why the adjusting knobs are on the front of the motor, to be played with and tweaked!

wbeaton
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I agree with Mumbles. 1/3 turn on the high seems a little lean especially since you haven’t run it on a boat. I normally start at 3/4 of a turn and finally tuning (on a boat) lands around 1/2 turns on high. However, you won’t know exactly where the needles need to be until you run it under load.

Wayne
                    Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

David Bartlett
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I agree with Mumbles and Wayne. My RD likes it a bit rich to start. Opening the high speed needle a little will help. My motor will start cold on 2 pulls, and I believe yours will also once you get used to it.

This is a lot of fun on my 14 footer.

David Bartlett
                      Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

stanley
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks to all of you who gave advice (and encouragement).I went out this morning and started it first pull with no backfire.Last week I re-synced carb and mag,rechecked spark,richened high speed setting.It was much easier to start.I let it sit several days so this morning would be a true test.Pulled out choke gave it a strong pull using all the rope and it started.Next week I’ll try it on the boat.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.