RD-17 and RD-18 exhaust leg cracks

Home Forum Ask A Member RD-17 and RD-18 exhaust leg cracks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)

• olcah

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 566
    Topics: 94

Looking at a 1955 25 HP Johnson RD-17 I noticed the cracking that I highlighted with a red pencil. I noticed crack in same location on the outside of the leg. Checked several 1956 RD-18 30 HP Johnsons and found the same crack in a couple of them only not as developed. I see this is a very thin section of the casting and expect these develop from cooling stresses in the casting or when the motor strikes something underwater. My guess is these are “no problem mate” type cracks but I am curious if others with more longer experience have noticed them or had any problems.
    Thank you,

crack in red

100_6260

exterior of leg, same crack

An RD-18 with similar crack

• This topic was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Mumbles.

olcah

For comparison I looked at some Ask a Member pages and found 3 images of RD-17s. All three are cracked in same location. 🙂

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3583
    Topics: 31

Stress fractures from varying heat expansion rate is a plausible explanation. It never showed up in the factory one thousand hour test engines and I have never heard of any catastrophic failures because of it. There was a company in the mid ’50s that made and promoted a Water ski tow rope attachment that bolted to the narrow section of the Exhaust housing. These quickly developed cracks at that point in the housing which caused OMC to issue a warning that the use of this device would void the factories warrantee.

outboardnut

Replies: 930
    Topics: 419

My RD-17 has crack inside but not on outside

crack

crack-two

olcah

Garry,
    Thank you for your experience/take on this. Looks to me like most all of these motors have or will develop this crack and it is no problem. Outboardnut’s photo shows the same location as the others that I have seen, maybe not as developed because the motor has not been run as much. 🙂

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3587
    Topics: 326

maybe you can bridge the crack on the inside surface with a small piece of aluminium plate by securing with 2 small bolts or have it welded if it is a big concern

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

olcah

I believe it is interesting but of no concern. The crack appears to be on nearly all of these motors for at least two model years. If it lead to problems I think people with long experience like Garry would know about it.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Just seems like something that develops due to the strain of the fastener that is located right there. I wouldn’t worry about it either unless an exhaust leak develops or the crack spreads

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Once upon a time, many moons ago, there was a service bulletin concerning extra exhaust cooling. Don’t remember if it applied to this or not. It would take me forever to find it, if I even have it.

george-emmanuel

Replies: 498
    Topics: 36

Notice how the crack does not extend into the mating surface for the gasket. I’d not worry about it.

George

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.