Home Forum Ask A Member RD-18 Compression

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    billy-t
    Participant

Hi

Well thought i would check the compression and was reasonably happy with 112 in the top cylinder but not quite as happy when I got 92 in the bottom one.

Guess it could be that the rings are not good or scoring or head gasket. Dont have the skill or tools to redo the rings if they are bad.

Not sure when this was run last, new to me this spring and just getting around to assess its run ability.

Slide to the back of garage and hope the kids get something for it when they hold the estate sale .

Time to find a new hobby.

reivertom
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

You might try running it and put something like Sea Foam in the gas mix. You may just have some stuck rings and/or dirt and the compression may go up after it heats up and gets cleaned out a little bit.

wiscoboater
        Participant

Did you test it wet or dry? Shoot some fogging oil or 2 stroke oil in the cylinders, rope’er over a few times and test it again. It might surprise you.

mr-asa
          Participant

It will probably still run at 92 on that cylinder.

I would try and run it till it gets good and warmed up, then let it cool completely, then warm and cool it like that a dozen times or so. Once you have done that recheck the compression. I would be very surprised if it didn’t come up.

billy-t
            Participant

Thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.