RD18 1956 30HP water discharge flow guide or flashing

Home Forum Ask A Member RD18 1956 30HP water discharge flow guide or flashing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• olcah

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 566
    Topics: 94

I believe that the water discharge is a rectangular slot on the bottom of the powerhead. Looking at the photos of the motor I am working on the discharge seems to have a sort of rectangular flow guide in front of it. I have not seen this in the three RD18s I have worked on. Could this just be a piece of flashing that is normally broken off? There is no indication of the motor overheating. Anyone else seen this before? Shall I just break it out?

BTW if this posts correctly the problem of posting pictures has been solved. Thank you Travis!

Attachments:

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Not a flow guide. Not normal. Then what is it? I don’t know.

chris-p

Replies: 2456
    Topics: 153

Is that the casting breaking off? Never seen that before. Should be open, nothing in there.

Be sure to inspect the o ring in the lower crank carbon seal before re installing the powerhead.

olcah

Chris and Frank,

Looking at a parts motor, it looks like the rectangular water opening may have had a flashing that was removed. Perhaps that is what this is?

Chris, Appreciate your comment about replacing the oring inside the carbon seal. I will do that for sure and replace the carbon if it is worn. But there is also an oring around the outside of the lower crank bearing. In the past I have replaced that too but that means opening the crankcase. It is probably tired but if there is no sign of problems when I remove the carbon, I am tempted to leave the bearing oring alone as it is stationary. Then I could pull the top crank bearing lip seal using a puller and avoid opening up/resealing the crankcase. Do you or Frank have any advice about that?

Thank you.
    Charlie

chris-p

Replies: 2456
    Topics: 153

I can see that someone has already been into that Powerhead in the not too distant past. I can see what looks like fresh Loctite 515 oozing out of the seams?

Change the bottom o ring for sure. The top seal is easy enough as well. I Personally would not open her up any further unless necessary! If it aint broke, don’t fix it!

olcah

Chris,
    What looks like fresh sealant is probably the oil I used to wipe corrosion off the outside of the engine but this motor has come apart very easily and you are probably right about recent work. The carbon seal is in like new condition. I will replace the oring and reassemble.
    I notice also that the motor has the tube type exhaust silencer and the exhaust plate is still there. I am also thinking that I should clean off the plate without disturbing the plate and the lower gasket (plate to exhaust housing). Then wipe off the bottom of the top gasket that is attached to the powerhead and put some Evinrude Johnson gasket sealing compound on the plate and put the powerhead back onto the exhaust housing. That would reuse the present gaskets but they look to be in perfect shape. What do you think? (And thanks for responding to lots of questions)

Attachments:

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.