Home Forum Ask A Member Re-ring and hone guide?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    crabb
    Participant

So I have a 25hp Johnson (RD-14) that I partially freed up with a lot of penetrating oil and a little bit of patience but it doesn’t want to turn over smoothly for the whole stroke as you turn the flywheel. It seems to get somewhat stuck around the bottom of the top cylinder, but I’m not 100% sure on that location.

Either way, I’m thinking about trying to have the cylinders honed by a machinist and putting new rings on the pistons in the hopes that I can get it turning over smoothly again. I have never gone that far into any engine, and I’m concerned that I won’t be able to get the pistons back where they belong and turning over in the right way.

I have 3 questions then:

Are there instructions for digging into the head and making sure everything gets back to where it’s supposed to go? I looked through the forum and on google and couldn’t find anyone who had done anything like that before. Though I may not be looking in the right place.

What size rings did that RD-14 use and should I ask someone like Dan Gano if he could source some new rings? I have the manual and the part number. I somehow doubt they’re made anymore.

And last, should I see about the crank/connecting rod needle bearings if I do end up getting the powerhead apart?

Any advice is welcome. I’m hesitant to get this deep into the engine for fear of it never going back together. But in it’s current state, she’s not gonna run anytime soon and I’m fairly tired of smelling penetrating oil.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Oh you’ll be getting into the crank and connecting rods, that’s for sure. That all comes apart before you can get the pistons out. The 10th edition of the Johnson Service Manual is on-line. The subject came up here recently, with the website.

crabb
        Participant

I guess it’s a learning opportunity then. Time to put the assembly lube on order.

Edit: Found the manual. Going to download the PDF and sharpen it up with Adobe. I want to print the whole thing out but 670 pages is no joke.

Found the link here: http://boatinfo.no/lib/johnson/manuals/1922-1964johnson.html#/0

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by crabb.
        Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.