Home Forum Ask A Member Recommendation for Saving Joints, long-term

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    johnyrude200
    Participant

Tom: LOL!!!!!!!!! I think I may have actually done that!

Tom
      Participant

US Member

Yeah, that story comes up a lot at parties.

T

49hiawatha
        Participant

All good advice that us older guys have learned the hard way , even when trying to do it the right way. I find my little 24# motors a heck of alot better than messing w/my 4,000# Hudsons. The Hudsons are gone and the Hiawathas live on.

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Every time I hit my thumb with a hammer it hurts.
            What should I do? lol

have you tried a rubber hammer ?

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

jeff-register
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have beat up my body, back, rotator cuff, broke ribs, bilateral hernias & broke toes not to bring up three pages of damaged discs not counting a double liver & kidney transplant from wiring sewer pumping plants, hava big wiff to catch Hep C not using a mask.
              Yes I believe not many can match my injurys from not being careful around heavy work.
              Just remember once in your 60’s it comes back, ALL of them to cause more pain then get addicted to pain meds to be sick for months to stop, YEA, full circle with all of it from Motor cycles, boats, cars & too much voltage not safe for anything BUT my house is paid off
              Yes be careful & remember what we told you to take care.

jeff-register
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have beat up my body, back, rotator cuff, broke ribs, bilateral hernias & broke toes not to bring up three pages of damaged discs not counting a double liver & kidney transplant from wiring sewer pumping plants, hava big wiff to catch Hep C not using a mask.
                Yes I believe not many can match my injurys from not being careful around heavy work.
                Just remember once in your 60’s it comes back, ALL of them to cause more pain then get addicted to pain meds to be sick for months to stop, YEA, full circle with all of it from Motor cycles, boats, cars & too much voltage not safe for anything BUT my house is paid off
                Yes be careful & remember what we told you to take care. Then how can we forget the sweet smell & itch of fiberglass too!!!

mr-asa
                Participant
                  quote johnyrude200:

What jumps out at me from these replies is that I am standing on cement all the time, and I have had a couple of shoulder ‘dings’ from holding onto a running motor when it coughs or the neutral lockout sometimes gets in the way when cranking.

I am very careful with my back because Ive had some very bad injuries in my early 20’s, and now again in my mid 30’s. Sciatica sucks, I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.

I do a lot of manual starting as most motors ai deal with are 35hp and below. Generally if I cant lift it myself I dont work on it (so no more than 150-160lbs…maybe 170 for those newer 3-cylinder 25/35hp.

Ive been learning to pull them over with my left hand recently because my right arm has been really wearing down. Some of this has to do aith 30 years of sports too, but figured Id ask all you wy-lee vets what worked for you.

Spend a day or two designing a power crank for all of those manual starters? So long as it has a one-way clutch and an electric motor you won’t hurt the engine or yourself.

The OMC ones should be fairly universal across a good range. Even if you could only get one setup for them you’d take out a lot of your arm wear.

ddoyle
                  Participant
                    quote :

It’s almost to the point that turning a screwdriver feels like knives in my wrists and elbows.

Time to go see an OLD DOCTOR. find one with grey hair. Next stop is likely the physio. Hopefully you can find these guys first at the boat launch and then in the office ($$$$$)

Phil’s advice is spot on in my books. Only thing he forgot is the magical healing properties of Bay of Fundy Sardines and the theraputic benfit of knitting. (seriosuly).

Good news is your young enough to get this sorted. Might just take a wearing a tendon supporting brace when working or learning your limits.

FYI if those pills takes away your pain they are likely destroying your kidneys. Stop by the Dialysis clinic and see how many people are there as a result of treating joint pain. I’d rather live with the pain or without the motors then that. Nothing is free in this world.(sorry for the drama but I get alot of this stuff at dinner conversation)

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

three joints of mine don’t hurt anymore ….the lawnmower took care of my three ..middle right toes

until I got the pain shots I was squirming like a worm on a hook !

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

joecb
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

thumb advice for buccaneer… hold the hammer with both hands, problem solved!

Joe B

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 26 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.