Recommendation for Saving Joints, long-term

Home Forum Ask A Member Recommendation for Saving Joints, long-term

This topic contains 25 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Avatar ddoyle 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
    jeff-register
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1067
    Topics: 45

I have beat up my body, back, rotator cuff, broke ribs, bilateral hernias & broke toes not to bring up three pages of damaged discs not counting a double liver & kidney transplant from wiring sewer pumping plants, hava big wiff to catch Hep C not using a mask.
    Yes I believe not many can match my injurys from not being careful around heavy work.
    Just remember once in your 60’s it comes back, ALL of them to cause more pain then get addicted to pain meds to be sick for months to stop, YEA, full circle with all of it from Motor cycles, boats, cars & too much voltage not safe for anything BUT my house is paid off
    Yes be careful & remember what we told you to take care. Then how can we forget the sweet smell & itch of fiberglass too!!!

mr-asa
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 754
    Topics: 128
    quote johnyrude200:

What jumps out at me from these replies is that I am standing on cement all the time, and I have had a couple of shoulder ‘dings’ from holding onto a running motor when it coughs or the neutral lockout sometimes gets in the way when cranking.

I am very careful with my back because Ive had some very bad injuries in my early 20’s, and now again in my mid 30’s. Sciatica sucks, I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.

I do a lot of manual starting as most motors ai deal with are 35hp and below. Generally if I cant lift it myself I dont work on it (so no more than 150-160lbs…maybe 170 for those newer 3-cylinder 25/35hp.

Ive been learning to pull them over with my left hand recently because my right arm has been really wearing down. Some of this has to do aith 30 years of sports too, but figured Id ask all you wy-lee vets what worked for you.

Spend a day or two designing a power crank for all of those manual starters? So long as it has a one-way clutch and an electric motor you won’t hurt the engine or yourself.

The OMC ones should be fairly universal across a good range. Even if you could only get one setup for them you’d take out a lot of your arm wear.

ddoyle

Replies: 55
    Topics: 8
    quote :

It’s almost to the point that turning a screwdriver feels like knives in my wrists and elbows.

Time to go see an OLD DOCTOR. find one with grey hair. Next stop is likely the physio. Hopefully you can find these guys first at the boat launch and then in the office ($$$$$)

Phil’s advice is spot on in my books. Only thing he forgot is the magical healing properties of Bay of Fundy Sardines and the theraputic benfit of knitting. (seriosuly).

Good news is your young enough to get this sorted. Might just take a wearing a tendon supporting brace when working or learning your limits.

FYI if those pills takes away your pain they are likely destroying your kidneys. Stop by the Dialysis clinic and see how many people are there as a result of treating joint pain. I’d rather live with the pain or without the motors then that. Nothing is free in this world.(sorry for the drama but I get alot of this stuff at dinner conversation)

crosbyman
    Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1189
    Topics: 158

three joints of mine don’t hurt anymore ….the lawnmower took care of my three ..middle right toes

until I got the pain shots I was squirming like a worm on a hook !

joecb
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 338
    Topics: 58

thumb advice for buccaneer… hold the hammer with both hands, problem solved!

Joe B

Buccaneer
    Buccaneer
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 2978
    Topics: 833

Crosby Man, Rubber hammers are a bad idea….. they’ll bounce
    back and hit you in the head!
    I was using a big ball peen hammer a couple of weeks ago
    pounding dents out the edge of my test barrel, before I painted
    it. Hammer in one hand, dolly in the other. The skin on my
    thumb has mostly grown back now, but it still aches when ever
    I pick up a hammer with the other hand.

Prepare to be boarded!

wannabe-outboard-guy

Replies: 683
    Topics: 114

Just my opinion because my health insurance sucks. Captain Morgan in large doses. Do not operate machinery while medicated. I’m not trying to be a smartass. I’m just pointing out reality under our current administration.

wedgie
    Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 963
    Topics: 94

One injury can lead to another.

I had a severe case of tennis elbow from repetitive use . After 30 years of scrapping and hammering, the tendons got so inflamed I couldn’t bend my elbow without excruciating pain, but my employer brow beat the heck out of me so I returned to work before I should have. I was using elbow locked and working the shoulder instead. The result ? 10 months off work with a torn supraspinatus in my right shoulder. Incredibly frustrating and very painfull. Pulling over a 1954 Fleetwin is a challenge now, and I use my left mostly now. The tendon never heals, but the other ones take over for it.

The only good thing is the shoulder injury forced me to rest my arm enough that the elbow calmed down. I have had to adapt some new techniques on the job such as telling my supervisors to "get someone else to do that overhead hammering for 8 hours straight" 👿
    I shouldn’t complain cause I am still able to work and have very good, steady job. A fellow member I know had severe nerve damage and lost much of the mobility in his left hand forcing early retirement. Fortunately he is a very talented mechanic and has adapted too and does amazing work with the "claw."

I guess my best advice is if you do hurt yourself, give it a chance to heal, or you can make things a lot worse 😥

wedgie
    Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 963
    Topics: 94

That Aleve works great for the inflamation pain, but is murder on the stomach.

mr-asa
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 754
    Topics: 128
    quote Wedgie:

That Aleve works great for the inflamation pain, but is murder on the stomach.

Aleve doesn’t mess with my stomach. However Ibuprofen kills me.
    Idiot military doctors prescribe it for literally everything. Had me on 800mg a day for half a year. One day I woke up and couldn’t stand up my stomach hurt so much. Went to the ER and it was acute heartburn. Stuff had cranked up my stomach acid production and it ate away my lining.

ddoyle

Replies: 55
    Topics: 8

stomachs least of anyone’s worry.

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/ … hy_508.pdf

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.