Home Forum Ask A Member reed plate gasket sealer?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    wedgie
    Participant

What sealer to use on the intake /reed plate /manifold gaskets…. if anything ?

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

None. But doesn’t that thing look kind of gnarley?

beerman57
        Participant

You need to disassemble and use some scotch-brite pads on a Dremel or die grinder on the aluminum, and if that’s rust on the reeds, then clean or replace.

wedgie
          Participant
            quote FrankR:

None. But doesn’t that thing look kind of gnarley?

Yes, it was pretty gnarly, but I’ve cleaned it up since taking that picture. I’ll re assemble it sans sealer. Thanks

chris-p
            Participant

No sealer on anything on the intake side of things, only exhaust side.

wedgie
              Participant
                quote Chris_P:

No sealer on anything on the intake side of things, only exhaust side.

Presumably, out of fear of sucking some of the sealer in to the crankcase? I’m trying to re use the existing gaskets that are fairly good.I thought a little carefully applied sealer might help take up minor irregularities .

beerman57
                Participant

I agree!

Mumbles
                  Participant

I like to give them a light coating of grease. Not enough to plug any small holes, but enough to help the parts come apart cleanly later on and to help seal them.

billw
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

When my old boss went to Johnson school in 1966, they told him to oil the gaskets. (Maybe Frank went to the same school?) Granted those were supposed to be NEW gaskets; but I have always oiled them, new or used and have never had a problem. It makes them come apart again easily, too. Of course, if they’re ripped, that’s a whole different story.

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.