Home Forum Ask A Member Repairing damaged crankshaft and flywheel key way on 1924 Elto Rudder Twin

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Monte NZ
    Participant

International Member - 2 Years

Hi Everyone
      Before I go any further…..A" BIG THANK YOU" Chris for the massive task he has undertaken!!!!
      I was sorry to read that all the old info has gone forever.
      It’s a fabulous site and a big help to countless guys with their outboard motor problems world wide!!!
      The good new is that it is up and running again……. I WAS STARTING TO SUFFER WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS !!!!

My problem is what would be the best way to repair the damaged key way in both the flywheel and crankshaft on my 1924 Elto Ruddertwin.
      I guess the damage has been previous owners not having the Flywheel nut tight enough, especially the way you go from forward to reverse while the motor is running.

Also,what torque setting should I use on the flywheel nut?

Thanks again and looking forward to your help.

Kind Regards
      Monte NZ

kees
      Participant

Hi Monte
        I remember your question on the old crashed board, I remember also the good answers !
        so………. do something with it. 😥

Monte NZ
        Participant

Hi Kees
          Thanks for your reply.
          Unfortunately I never got the chance to read the ideas put up, as when I went to read it the site had gone.
          First of all I thought that my computer had gone haywire!

Hopefully the guys will put their ideas up again.
          It was certainly bad timing on my part putting my request in when I did.

Cheers
          MonteNZ

kees
          Participant

here a couple of ideas
            * make a new key in both the crankshaft and the flywheel at the opposite place. ( 180 degree from original place)
            * welding and make a new key. Tricky , heat can bend the shaft a little and your flywheel can wobble.
            * an oversized key is of course also possible.
            you need a good machinist or engineer that’s for sure
            my way should be the first
            good luck

frankr
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I’ve never seen any torque specs in print for those old motors. The books usually say give the wrench a couple of whacks with a hammer. Certainly Low-Tech.

Monte NZ
              Participant

Hi Kees and Frank.
                Thanks very much for your ideas.
                Someone at some time had a go at arc welding the broken area and this now appears to be breaking away so I think
                your idea Kees in cutting a new key way,is the way to go.
                I will contact the local model engineers group as it will require someone with the skills and the necessary gear to do the job accurately.
                Thanks Frank for your "Low -Tech" suggestion for the flywheel nut ,,,,,,I like it!
                Your help is much appreciated Kind Regards Monte NZ

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.